[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ken's suggestion about AB 610 - a letter.

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:22:58 -0700

Permission to Cross Post

Ken, getting a letter or talking points is a great idea.  Actually,
three of us, from three different CA groups are working on getting
talking points ready for Capwiz right as we are writing

Now... there have been several suggestions, discussions about... etc.,
why this isn't done for every alert, posting, etc., that any of us post.

        1.  Legislators HATE form letters.  They put them in the same
category as spam sent to them.  They would just prefer an email or a
fax or a phone call with "Don't vote for this bill, with a couple or
sentences in "their own words."   Perhaps 5-10 years ago, form letters
worked, but since CA AB 1634 when Fax machines jammed, many
Legislative staff  pull letters only from their own districts.  Not
all the legislators in not all states, but..... Many Phone calls are
now put on "press one if you don't like the bill, press 2 if you like
it." types of voice mail.  There are some legislators that will
measure stacks of letters to see which is higher thought I haven't
seen much of that this year. Several of us Organization letter writers
were not even included in opposition Analyses in this last CA session.

        Also years ago, we didn't have the thousands of bills that are
flooding us now.  Just an aside.

        2. If somebody takes the time to read what is here, they will note
that this bill will probably be amended.  We have already been calling
the Vet Board and the authors of the bill to explain the false and
exaggerated claims.  But (again written in what we sent), it's
important for legislators and the VMB Board to know what was put there
and why.  .

                MORE importantly... every time a bill is amended, the
legislators
need a NEW letter explaining why the amendment did or did NOT fix the
problem.  If a new letter isn't forthcoming, the Bill's author will
tell the committee that the objections to the bill went away. So two
letters already for this bill

        3.  HSUS alone has lobbied for, or introduced hundreds of bills
across the country.  That doesn't include many of the local government
bills which are HSUS influenced or introduced by ARlights and
heavies.  It would be an impossible task for an individual or 50
individuals to keep up with the amendments, the movements to the other
house and write a letter for each change and each movement of the
thousands of bills introduced... and that doesn't even start to
encompass the meetings and proposed meetings, adding in BSL ordinances
and bills. And where would they be put?  On line for everybody to
see?  Where?  Who would do that uploading, updating daily?

        4. We, those of us who spend hours reading the internet, the
legislation group lists, pull out what we consider the most egregious,
damaging and dangerous piece of legislation and let people know about
them.  For our own states (and I am in contact with legislative
activists in almost all of the states), we do the best we can to get
the talking points out there for people to use them, give them the
contacts, and tell them how important it is.

        5.  MANY times, after a posting, somebody will take the time to email
me or call me and ask me for more information or how they can help
oppose a bill. And that is across the country.  I have assisted people
in NJ, UT, SD,FL and TX among many  others.  I'll often send talking
points for their letters, if I can.

        6.  NATIONAL LEGISLATION.  When I forward Frank Losey's great
letters, he always adds a letter that can be forwarded.  Many people
do forward his letter, adding their own words..  Frank works days,
sometimes weeks, getting that one letter out.  He forwards them to me
and some others and we forward them.  The GSDCA Website has a whole
section on PUPS that I sent to Pam and she uploaded.  Learning about
these bills is soooo important.  Do we want to just be told to cut/
paste and forward?  I want to understand what my POV is and not just
take somebody else's word for it.  I hope others are like that, too.
Not a nation of sheep....or maybe we are.

There is more to my day of researching, forwarding and posting.  Much
of my day is on the phone discussing the various tactics that are
being used, going to on-line conference calls (APRI is doing a great
job there), writing LTEs and comments on articles. I was on the phone
for 45 minutes last night (at 9:20P.M!!!!!)  I have also been
interviewed on the radio (the first one was a horrendous flop, but the
other guy was worse, so it was o.k.... the others went better,)  for
newspaper articles and gone to lots of local and County meetings to
support groups, testified before L.A.county BOD, etc.

As I told the Board in January, there are about 30 people on the
Legislation List and MANY of them have taken action and gone forth.
Some great members and they have done a lot of good.    I'm grateful
that the Board took my request to add legislative activity to the
Regional Challenge and to move forward with a Legislation Committee.
I've been working for that and towards that for 4 years now!!!!!!

I'm glad to have the opportunity to explain this a bit more, as there
have been too many comments about Legislative "postings."

so thanks,Ken, for that opportunity

Stormy Hope
On Aug 28, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Stormy Hope wrote:

Ken, this is a California Bill, and not a Congressional Bill.

Stormy Hope

On Aug 28, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Ken Tank wrote:

Can someone digest all this and write a letter we can copy and paste? I
could then take it towww.congress.org and easily email my
representatives.
Ken
On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx> wrote: