[ SHOWGSD-L ] Kennels

  • From: Doris E <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showlist <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:38:30 -0700

Herb and I ran a very successful boarding kennel for about 12 years.
Here are a few things we would consider necessary: *1.* radiant heat in
the floors.  Old dogs get chilled and stiff and miserable unless they
are toasty warm. *2*. Solid walls between runs at least 4 feet high.
Chain link above.  Dogs love to fence fight, even the nice ones.  This
will handle that problem. *3*. A separate septic system. Washing kennels
uses a lot of water. *4*. Gently sloping runs to the outside so the runs
will drain well and dry quickly.* 5*. Separate indoor and outdoor areas
for each run, with a doggie door between.  This is helpful if you have a
nasty dog. (and you will get some) You can drop the doggie door and put
the feed dish down and then reopen the door so the little darling can
enjoy his dinner.
These are just a few things I consider essential.  Also, good
ventilation which keeps things smelling fresh.  Doris E    P.S.  People
still ask me if I am ever going to open another kennel.  I guess we must
have been pretty good at it.