[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Junior Show Questions

  • From: PlushPuppyOhio <plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx, gsdlover420@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps this verbage from the AKC website might help....

Section 2. Amateur Status.
An individual listed as an agent is not eligible to compete in Juniors, nor any
person who distributes rate cards or otherwise advertises themselves as
handling dogs for pay in the show ring, or accepts payment for handling dogs.
"Participation in Junior Showmanship is intended to encourage Juniors to learn
how to care for and present different breeds. Part of the educational process
could include apprenticeship or assisting professional handlers. Juniors may
take their employers' dogs into the ring while still retaining amateur status."

Sean

"M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thats correct. Many years ago, when I was a junior, I was faced with the same
delima. It was perfectly ok for me to show, but I couldnt be listed as agent
nor could've have been paid for my services. After a while, I gave up on
Showmanship and concentrated on the all breed rings.

Of course, Now since I judge it, I can see the difference between the junior
who obviously have worked for handler and those who havent. Usually, (not
saying in all cases) the dogs are a little bit better conditioned, better
groomed and have an overall polish to them and their exhibit.

However, this provokes the question... Since I cannot be paid for handling a
dog, lest Im out of JR. What happens if I work for a professional handler?
Since I was 17, I worked for Mark and Sally George, Brenda Combs and the late
Mark Shanoff.. when I was were, my duties were to prepare (condition, groom,
etc) and sometimes present the dogs at the kennel. Was I paid, you bet I was, I
wasnt working for practice! :-) Would this be in direct violation of the
"renumeration" clause or does it fall under a "Jr. hjandler honing his/her
craft?"

Mike

PS.. I would love if the AKC brought back "the question". Usually, I got stuck
with the "How do you prepare your dog for the show, start to finish..." (When I
judge horse show equitation, we are allowed to ask the riders questions..and of
course, I ask, "How did you prepare your horse for the show..." you'd be
surprised the amount of "blank stares" I get. Then youd be surprised some of
the 15 minutes answers.. which I love!

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)

Yahoo! for Good

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Yahoo! for Good