[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Junior Show Questions

  • From: <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:17:08 -0400

Thanks for the update... It's been just a few years since I was a junior.
:o)

I agree that it would be pretty had to enforce but I disagree with the thought
that it's just something a over obsessed parent could use against another kid
to get them into trouble with the AKC.

IF a Junior Handler had shown dogs before and has charges clients for showing
their dogs in the past it would be really unfair to all the 'TRUE' Junior
Handler who are competing and abiding by the rules.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone!
Rick (NOT an obsessed parent)Haase
<g>

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°º¤ø
A list member sent this to me...
Here are the rules directly from the AKC site

Section 2. Amateur Status.
An individual listed as an agent is not eligible to compete in Juniors, nor any
person who distributes rate cards or otherwise advertises themselves as
handling dogs for pay in the show ring, or accepts payment for handling dogs.

"Participation in Junior Showmanship is intended to encourage Juniors to learn
how to care for and present different breeds. Part of the educational process
could include apprenticeship or assisting professional handlers. Juniors may
take their employers' dogs into the ring while still retaining amateur status."

From: "Ariel cassista" <gsdlover420@xxxxxxx>
Date: 2005/09/29 Thu PM 12:43:24 EDT
To: ricknaudra@xxxxxxx,  Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Junior Show Questions

Juniors is technically considered an "amateur" sport.  Once you get paid your
not considered an amateur anymore.......your considered a professional,
so they say. To me being paid doesn't make you a professional, years of had
work, dedication and everything that comes along with that makes you a
prefessional. I'm not sure what the rule on reciveing gifts etc for
handling, but a junior CAN be paid to assist a handler at shows for grooming,
exing, cleaning etc. Pretty had to enforce if you ask me, just something a over
obsessed parent could use against another kid to get them into trouble with the
AKC.

Ariel