[ SHOWGSD-L ] Is the TAIL wagging the DOG

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:39:10 -0700 (PDT)

One of my favorite lectures I've used on my kids, my juvenile hall kids, and my
former parolees..is that "The dog wags the tail, the tail does not wag the
dog!"...what we have done in the breed is to give up too much control and power
to HANDLERS...they are dictating too much where to show, when to show, to who
to show to, who to breed to, who not to breed to etc.etc.etc....and God knows
how much money many of them charge...and let me make this point clear right
now...I AM NOT BLAMING PROBLEMS IN THIS SPORT ON HANDLERS...it is not the
tail's fault that the dog allows it to be in control...but in "our" drive to
win we turn over most of our power and control over to these skilled handlers,
many times to our own detriment ( strong words huh)...we cry about handling
fees and expenses, we cry about not having enough handlers etc etc, we are
scared to reduce futurity regions in fear that fees will go higher...guess what
folks...IT'S ALL THE OWNERS FAULT...I have never seen an owner
  forced
 to use a handler that charges $2500 for a show...I know what you're
saying...judges don't put up Jrs. or no-name handlers (judging is the second
biggest problem in the sport, a very close second)...then don't show under
"groupie judges"....and don't pretend that you don't know what I'm talking
about....before I go back to my books, let me say I have nothing against
handlers, my best friend in this sport is a handler, I respect and admire Bart
Bartley...when I grow up I would like to be like him...but the fact
remains...the owner is the dog...and the handler is, or at least should
be...the tail.....CAUTION...do not use this argument on your spouse......Ed Hill