[ SHOWGSD-L ] Invisible fencing

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 08:06:20 -0800

Wow.  What a nut job.  I won't sell a puppy to a home that has or  is
considering an electric fence either...NO EXCEPTIONS, lolololol!!!!!

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
=======================================

Well Kathy, I would have agreed with you until I met Khi. Khi was a
huge bi-color with a brain as big as his body. I would come home and
there he would be, in the front yard, out of the fence, waiting for my
return.
   I put clips on the chain link gates. They did not work.
   I locked the doors. He unlocked them and left them open when he
left.
   I put concrete around the base of the fence - the entire acre. He
changed to jumping over.
   He would twist the door knobs and go in and out at will.
   He would jump to the top of the 6' fence and pull himself over.
   He would untwist wires around gates.

He didn't go anywhere, just wait in the front yard, but I couldn't let
him beat me.

Finally the hardware man recommended an electric fence, explained it
was high voltage but not high amps so it shocked but did not injure. I
tried it on myself and sure enough it got my attention, but I was none
the worse for wear. So I put it on the fence top and sure enough when
I came home, Khi was out. So I reset the charger and then drove off as
though leaving, only to double back and watch him. He stretched up,
put his nose real close to the top electric wire, got back down, put
his foot on the fence and started rocking it until it struck the
electric strand, shorting it out, then checked it again, then over he
went.

I finally reinstalled the top wire so it was 3" above the fence all
the way around and rocking the fence did not work. He finally stayed
in.

While I was triumphant at last, he was still finding ways to outsmart
me other than the fence, and I loved him more than I could ever
explain. What a dog.

Dave