[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting Decline Conformation

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: rautt75@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 10:17:58 -0500

Yup, if you need to hire a handler and/or send a dog away you are going to
spend a bit, but I'm not finding a purebred dog as a social outcast.
"Adopt don't shop" may be a sentiment from some on the very liberal left,  the
AR do-gooders.  I'm  finding backlash from the other  side.

Everything we do today is expensive.  My nephew plays b-ball (pitching
coach, batting coach), competes in competitive diving (diving coach),
competitive swimming (coach), gymnastics (competed in Mexico last year, mom
went
with because obviously you don't send a child by themself), loves to ski
(lessons), and plays a bit of basketball (instruction from a former 76er).
He'll
 be 11 soon.

These things go in cycles.  At some point the economy will improve and
some will get back into showing dogs.

I think the decline in dogs being shown has as much to do with the failure
of the family unit, and for those units who haven't failed the necessity
for two  career couples (for most of my mentors "moms" were able to stay home,
raise  children and breed an occasional litter of puppies), and children
being  over-scheduled.  Even if there is a bit of interest, and I have no
doubt my  nephew could show a dog with the best of them as athletic as he is,
there are  just so many hours in a day and a wide variety of interests.

But things are cyclical.

Of more concern to me is that when the economy is bad, people in dogs on a
shoestring proliferate.  Maybe not as much in GSDs as other smaller breeds
(less expensive to feed), but for those on the fringe, out to make a buck,
lot of cr*p happening.  No wonder we have the legislation of the past year.
 It's to protect stupid buyers (oh, did I have a Gruber moment??? perhaps I
 should say "uneducated") from liars and cheats.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 2/22/2015 8:46:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rautt75@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Kathy, you make a case here for 'rich man's game'
Anne, GA

Sent from Anne's iPad

On Feb 22, 2015, at 8:08 AM, (Redacted sender "_Pinehillgsds@aol.com_
(mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx) " for DMARC) <_dmarc-noreply@freelists.org_
(mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) >  wrote:

Hmmmmmmm....I'm not finding that.  I find people willing to wait  quite a
while for a dog that looks like the standard.  Maybe on the  fringes or maybe
someone w/ a limited bank account but the status symbols of  a beautiful,
well bred dog, expensive car/clothes/homes haven't gone  away.  Just look at
the BMW and Audi sales figures, look at  Nordstroms.....

Kathy, member GSDCA,  DVGSDC
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 2/21/2015 5:11:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
_dmarc-noreply@freelists.org_ (mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   writes:

The purebred dog, bred, raised and loved by a good breeder is now a  social
outcast.  "Adopt, don't shop" is the average person's  philosophy today.
So while dogs are as popular as ever, my thinking  is that the well bred dog
who is a good representative of its breed is  not.