[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hurricane IKE

  • From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:30:50 -0500

We are about thirty miles south of Houston and were on the "dry"(west) side
of the hurricane as it came up from Galveston and took a right turn as it
headed up through Houston. It missed us by a matter of a few miles. We had
rain and high winds that caused some roof damage and downed trees, but
fortunately we did not lose electricity. We had all the dogs snuggly in the
house, so no problems there. At 8 a.m. I opened the door to let Santo out
thinking he probably needed to go. It was still raining some, and the wind
was whipping the trees pretty good. He looked up at me as if to say, "You
think I'm going out in THAT?" and trotted back in the house.
    The devastation in Galveston, Houston, and towns north of Houston is
horrible. Almost everyone is without power and will be for some time,
probably weeks. Galveston is totally uninhabitable: no power, no food and
the city water system is shut off to prevent contamination. This is a city
of several hundred thousand people, and it is now empty. I haven't heard
many specifics about Beaumont, other than that the city and surrounding area
are almost totally without power. Hundreds of thousands of people in Houston
are depending on FEMA and local government for food and water which is being
distributed at distribution centers throughout the city. This is a massive
undertaking, but in general relief efforts seem to be going well. Reports
are that it will be weeks before most people have electricity again. I
talked to Lister and friend Karen Rogers who lives in the Woodlands, a town
about thirty miles north of Houston. She says that every wire in her area is
down with large toppled trees lying on top of them. The task of removing all
those trees will be an enormous undertaking, all of which most be completed
before the electric companies can come in to start restoring power, and of
course this is the situation all over the region.
   Please keep all of the people affected by Hurricane Ike (probably a
couple million) in your thoughts and prayers.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple
http://www.firethorntemple.com