[ SHOWGSD-L ] How puppies learn

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 17:43:30 EDT

We currently are raising a puppy, from a litter of one.  Because of  being
the "only one", he is nicknamed "Keeper" and naturally, because of all the
attention he gets, he is an obnoxious little devil.  Now we live in the
middle of our 30 spread and my daughter and her family live at the back of the
property, about 1/4 mile walk.  Although Keeper is suppose to live with Bob
 & myself, he frequenty sneaks off to Cathy's house, because with 2
grandkids  and the kennels back there, that is "where the action is".  One of
Cathy's  house dogs is "Brite Eyes", the last Spellbinder daughter, who is
about
11  fancies herself to be a ferocious  watch dog, at lest she barks at all
the  coons, deer, falling acorns, and any strange noise in the night.  After
his  last visit with Brite Eyes, Keeper, who is 4 months old, decided he is
now a  watch dog also.  I came home on Fri and walked into the house , only
to be  greeted by serious, loud puppy barking as he raced to check me out -
all his  hackles standing straight up.  He was not even embarrassed when he
discover  it was only me, not a burglar.  That night he heard voices from
our grand  daughters house, towards the front of the property.  He promptly
leapt and  loudly barked - but his directional finder has not yet kicked in,
and he kept  facing the empty field instead of the location of the voices.
Needless to  say he still received lots of praise.  This is an excellent
example of  puppies learning from various grown dogs, as our two "girls" are so
used to  unusual sounds, they only bark if it is 2 AM.  He learned all his
"alertness" from a visit to Brite Eyes.
Carol

In a message dated 9/5/2009 1:04:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hope everyone enjoys thier dogs as much as I do because they are my  "BEST
FRIENDS"!!!!  They never stab me in the back,they never borrow  money, they
never ask for anything but love and I love  them!
Giselda