[ SHOWGSD-L ] How much value can you really place in a critique?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:32:35 -0500

I've been watching this subject about critiques now for the last few
days.  I'm glad we're talking about this because I've been meaning to
bring this subject up myself for a long time and how it pertains to the
critiques one can find on the GSDCA web site under the reviewed dogs.  I
understand what people will say about a judge and his interpertation of
our standard when he evaluates a dog.  HOWEVER, what I can not for the
life of me understand is when I read a critique given on a dog by two or
more judges and they are talking about physical structure.  One judge
will say for instance, "so & so" was a lovely animal but I would have
liked to have seen a better length of upper arm.  Then scroll down to
the next judges critque on the very same dog and he says, "so & so" was
a lovely animal with a beautiful length of upper arm!!!!  Well what the
heck happened?  Did the dog all of a sudden grow his upper arm from the
time judge #1 seen him until judge #2 judged him?  Interpertation has
nothing to do with structure.  Either the dog has it, or he doesn't!
Interpertation would have everything to do with how a judge views a
particular dog's type and movement according to our standard, but
absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the actual structure of the
dog.  That is not open to interpertation in my book.  While we are
hoping to educate the fancy and especially the new comer by offering
valuable education through critiques, I say lets watch who is giving
those critiques.  Anyone can be a judge if he's bred the right amount of
qualifers, judged the right amount of matches, and stewarded at the
right amount of shows.  Does this really qualify him/her to be a judge?
Some judges critiques I read with respect and know what they're saying
to be pretty much correct, while others I shake my head and ask WHY or
HOW?  So in my opinion critiques are fine if they are done by judges who
know what the heck they're looking at, but it can often times be
misleading to the novice when they view them and believe everything he
reads because it must be so, because the judge said so.  What really
would be nice is if we could critique our judges to see who is making
the grade and who isn't.  I think it should be required that our judges
be re-evaluated every so often to see how they are doing, but then again
by who's interpertation?????  Best wishes,  Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS