[ SHOWGSD-L ] How do they hurt our breed?

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:29:59 -0500 (EST)

When we were stationed in Germany back in 1989, we had decided to buy a
BOXER.  Why?  Not sure.  But we met a White - (not albino) GSD  that our
neighbors had brought over with them.  He was incredible. Smartest  dog we had
ever met.  Of course we met other shepherds and fell in love  with the breed
and managed to buy a Bobo Von Lierberg grand son to take  home with us.  He
became a family member and there has never been another  breed for us.
But I could never figure out why the white was disqualified.  I could  not
discover any genetic links between white and health disorders.  (like
deafness or skin disorders)  Then I was told it was because a shepherd in
Bavaria would be able to see his white dog working sheep in a snow  storm.
Then I
found that there were a number of white breeds that worked  sheep.
Can anyone tell me the good reasons that white was disqualified as a color
back in 1958?
Thank You
Carol Moore

In a message dated 1/28/2013 6:42:51 P.M. Central Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
When  someone can show me that long coats and whites will improve
our Breed, our  breeding programs...and the Breed's working/ herding
abilities, I  could accept the Board spending time on this issue.
Our Board is  charged with protecting the Standard of this Breed,
I hope they stand  strong, and do that!!
If changes are for money, the motive is wrong.  Breeder/exhibitors
can attest to how expensive this Sport has become..and  still we
struggle to continue on because we believe in the Breed and the
Breed Standard.
Those that actually train and utilize a  working dog where lives are
at stake do not have time to worry about Breed  faults like a ring
tail, or extension, or even care if a dog is good at  herding sheep
and likely don't study the Standard. They are looking for a
certain working DRIVE.  That is their 'mission'.
We...with  our show dogs have a 'mission' to adhere to the Standard.
When breeders do  not conform to the Standard..you lose the Breed.
If breeders thought Doxies  should be shorter, Poodles smoother,
Bull Dogs sleeker, Great Dane's  smaller and Rottweilers white...??
Also, Breeders that show...should all  consider more strength of
character and working ability... physically and  mentally in our
breeding program.   It would do the Breed more  justice if the Board
would take THAT on as project for encouragement  rather than more
coated dogs and the color of  white!!!

Carolyn   marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com