[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Help plane size for 500 crate

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxx, WITMS@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:01:32 -0700 (PDT)

I just figured the cost of the drive to the national from Oregon. 4,098 miles
Round trip will cost you about 675 dollars for gas and at least 4 nights in a
motel at 85 per night. Coming and going to the national this year from Oregon
is 1,015.00 if you put those dogs in the car and drive. If you want to fly you
will be looking at shipping your dogs just to be on the safe side. Your dogs
may end up in a kennel in Salt Lake City if you try to fly.Shipping will run
about 300.00 each way and then your ticket will run around 300.00 round trip.
It may be cheaper to ship your dog and pick it up there.

  Question for you folks in Saint Louis. Is there someone in your club willing
to pick up and house dogs that are shipped in. Do you have emergency numbers
for folks to call when they get stuck somewhere and they need to have their dog
picked up at the airport. If you have someone that is willing to be an
emergency number to call you should post it on your site.
  Terry
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/23/2006 10:01:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxx writes:
Hi Susie;
It's best to find the best schedules.....and then call the airlines and ask
before you book. They
also want a 1 1/2 hr. connecting time for the dogs.......and make sure they
have room and not
already booked for their limit on dogs. Most will tell you they WILL
"bump" the dog if they get
last minute luggage and NOW more luggage has to go in Cargo ith the new
rules about carry on.
That is one of the problems if you find a great flight to the National.
Everyone is using the same
one and a dogs get bumped on the connecting flight when they all converge
into the main hub for
the connecting flights.

A problem that I ran into w/ connections w/ a 500 once was that even though
everything was checked and checked again, the plane at the connecting city
wasn't full and the airline made a decision to "downsize" from a Boeing
whatever to an Airbus something or other....the crate wouldn't fit through the
cargo
door (I was later told) of the smaller plane....so.....the dog was bumped
due to a last minute change in type of plane.

I got a frantic call from the lady waiting at the other end when her dog
didn't come in on the correct flight; poor dog had a few hours of extra wait
in the connecting city until the "right" size plane was used.

Made me nuts...no ,more connecting flights, no more me flying a grown dog
unless I go too. (Puppy, 10+ weeks, non-stop, counter to counter, I'm OK with
that.)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three generations of Dual Titled Champions live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd Dogs_

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.