[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Height of the breed

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:05:53 -0400

There have always been big dogs and there have always been doggy
bitches.  They can be useful in breeding programs, and often they move
exceptionally well, which is why their people keep them in the first
place.  Personally I find doggy bitches more objectionable than big
dogs, but that's not important.   I think there's a difference between
dogs that are just big and dogs whose legs are too long...and that,
FWIW, is the bigger problem that I see.  JMO, but big and in proportion
(so long as we're not talking giant-sized here) is not nearly so
objectionable as a dog who appears to be all legs.  There are also some
dogs out there whose legs are too short, but they are very much in the
minority compared to the giraffe style of dog that seems to be so
popular now.  Doggy bitches can be useful...they just aren't very
pretty.  Big bitches are not necessarily doggy...doggy bitches do not
fit the standard, which requires that secondary sex characteristics be
obvious, to wit:  (from the Standard)
> Secondary sex characteristics are strongly marked, and every animal
> gives a definite impression of masculinity or femininity, according to
> its sex.

Peggy