[ SHOWGSD-L ] Handlers....again...<sigh>

  • From: Donna <onaluzlead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:29:31 -0400 (EDT)

So if no one likes the price of handlers the top named ones...go for the
kids....go for Olivia...go for ALL of
the ones that are more reasonalbly priced...but then talk to the JUDGES,
educate them that its ok to
put them up...that the big name handlers that bring the truck full of dogs
won't hold it against them next time
and still bring them a truck full of dogs so thier entry is high...and won't
hold it against them...that's the key...

I have heard more times..."well, so and so had a nice dog, but that kids dog
was awesome....but ya know the
crowd said it all..." because when "the kid" (who is now 21 going on 22)...went
around the ring it was dead silent
and the groupies for "The Face" only screamed and yelled cause they must of
felt nervous...huh, ??? Possible???ABSOLUTELY
Yes it is. You want the truth...you got it...everyone jumps on "the kid"
bandwagon...when they are winning but
trust me when a client goes through a loosing streak, even with a good one,
cause a judge mostly only puts up "FACES"... FOR
MANY REASONS...not only the truck full of dogs one...then you have wonderful,
loyal clients that you think appreciate the kid,
firing them without cause or blaming the mother/parents/or whatever....to
justify thier actions...it's a revolving circle just like the topic...
Do you know how disheartening it is for "a kid" to have to deal with that and
come to understand the politics and the protocol of "how it is..."
We want the kids to stay in this, but even when they have the best dog...they
don't always win...but sometimes they do win when
they shouldn't and that's all on a different level of stupid...and again
teaching nothing good to adults or children...and doing nothing positive for
our breed.

So don't start with the handler fee's that are too expensive...most of them
haven't had a raise in over 10 years...I know that for a
fact...I realize times are hard but the handlers bills go up just like all of
ours, so how do they get compensated for that? I know that
board for a show dog is between $350 - 400. and when it was discussed how
pricey that was...my accountant and I sat down
and figured out where the $ went to...it's a joke...11.777 per day for us to
condition/train/groom/establish a brain and promote
the dog to it's fullest...then you take that 11.777 per day and take
out....payroll(for kennel help), dog food, raw diet, supplements, vitamins,
cleaners,
nevermind the phone bills to the client some each day...insurance/taxes on the
property your kennel sits on/maintenance cause
some dogs ruin and eat the kennel...shampoo's/conditioners/gas for vehicles
used to road work.../well that pretty much leaves $3.45
p/day....once all is said and done on a P&L ... Then it's expected for whoever
is conditioning the dog to, of course, travel with the dog
and either have a handler or meet the handler to show the dog. Because most
handlers have thier partners, wives, girlfriends or whoever
do the grooming and doubling most people have come to "expect" that service.
When that person adds in thier gas/hotel/meal/and a fee
to groom or double the dog...it's another bill or for some it's included...but
sometimes you get what you pay for too...knowing when and how
to call a dog for doubling is an art...one of which most people don't
master...and when they are in deep competition and loose cause they
didnt' know when to call the dog at the right time and/or they got excited and
started running the wrong way...<VBG> or maybe because
they are typical middle class hard working people that got the bug, on a sport
they really can't afford but try...  then they want to show, hire a handler, go
to a show and call the dog when the handler raises their arm and yells at
them...they smile and are caught videoing thier dog...instead or just wave at
the dog...but they
really don't know what makes that dog tick cause they are new...and no one has
the time...so many different scenario's but the bottom line
is, we have made our sport, our breed what it is...and WE need to change the
mindset of everyone. First of all, to have fun...second of all to hook
up with a GOOD group of people that are doing this for the right
reasons...third, to teach and give time to everyone in some way that can help
the next generation or new people...and to MAKE our judges JUDGE the
DOGS...........not the faces, not the kid, not the doublers, the DOG in the
RING...
what a concept~

Well thats my take on it at least...go for the kids if you can't afford a top
handler...or talk to your handler and let them know what's up...that's it's too
much for you to pay and if there is something you can work out or make payments
etc...sometimes they are willing to work with you. They don't have
a crystal ball to know your income and what is possilbe. Please understand
though, when you hire a "kid" and I am starting to hate that word...
understand, even with a great dog, it will sometimes loose...and if all is
good, keep the faith...you will win...not all judges are afraid to put up
a good dog with a "young or new" handler, if the dog is presented
correctly...and doubled correctly and shown in good condition...but don't take
it out
on the young or new ... have patience...and realize once most "Faces" see a
GOOD one with a kid, you will become easy pickin's...and they
will approach you and tell you how wonderful your dog is, but if..."I had it I
would do this or that different"...and then you get taken away by the attention
and also start to realize the time and money your spending when your not
winning...and end up going with the Face...again ~ once again it's the vicious
circle of our sport....

Donna

 Donna M. Calabrese
Aramist Enterprises