[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Handlers....again...<sigh>

  • From: Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx
  • To: onaluzlead@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 19:14:01 -0400 (EDT)

Donna,

AMEN!
What in life hasn't gone up? Is it expensive to campaign a dog, yes, but
MORE expensive without a PROFESSIONAL on the lead,

Handlers today are not getting enough money, especially if you use Donna's
$11.777 a day.....They train, love, groom, love, feed, love, provide
shelter and  LOVE, Yes, it is expensive, but you all have to rationalize, what
does $11.777 a  day buy...McDonald's from the dollar menu?

The fee's haven't kept pace with inflation......Handling is a profession!

Todd,Joanie,Josh,Frank & Roberta Vigor
Tonor German  Shepherds
Ch. Ken-Delaine's Buddie v Fran-Jo, TC, OFA ( Waiting at the  Rainbow
Bridge).
Major Pointed, RBIF "Tonor's Under  Siege" OFA aka CASEY
Sunnydae Ivy v Tonor, OFA
Sunnydae  Hollywood v Tonor, OFA
Tonor's Shayna Punim
Tonor's  Boychic
"When Love and Skill Come Together, Expect A  Masterpiece"

In a message dated 7/25/2012 5:56:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
onaluzlead@xxxxxxx writes:

So if no  one likes the price of handlers the top named ones...go for the
kids....go for  Olivia...go for ALL of
the ones that are more reasonalbly priced...but then  talk to the JUDGES,
educate them that its ok to
put them up...that the big  name handlers that bring the truck full of dogs
won't hold it against them  next time
and still bring them a truck full of dogs so thier entry is  high...and
won't hold it against them...that's the key...

I have heard  more times..."well, so and so had a nice dog, but that kids
dog was  awesome....but ya know the
crowd said it all..." because when "the kid"  (who is now 21 going on
22)...went around the ring it was dead silent
and  the groupies for "The Face" only screamed and yelled cause they must
of felt  nervous...huh, ??? Possible???ABSOLUTELY
Yes it is. You want the  truth...you got it...everyone jumps on "the kid"
bandwagon...when they are  winning but
trust me when a client goes through a loosing streak, even  with a good
one,  cause a judge mostly only puts up "FACES"... FOR
MANY REASONS...not only the truck full of dogs one...then you have
wonderful, loyal clients that you think appreciate the kid,
firing them  without cause or blaming the mother/parents/or whatever....to
justify thier  actions...it's a revolving circle just like the topic...
Do you know how  disheartening it is for "a kid" to have to deal with that
and come to  understand the politics and the protocol of "how it is..."
We want the kids  to stay in this, but even when they have the best
dog...they don't always  win...but sometimes they do win when
they shouldn't and that's all on a  different level of stupid...and again
teaching nothing good to adults or  children...and doing nothing positive for
our breed.

So don't start  with the handler fee's that are too expensive...most of
them haven't had a  raise in over 10 years...I know that for a
fact...I realize times are hard  but the handlers bills go up just like all
of ours, so how do they get  compensated for that? I know that
board for a show dog is between $350 -  400. and when it was discussed how
pricey that was...my accountant and I sat  down
and figured out where the $ went to...it's a joke...11.777 per day for  us
to condition/train/groom/establish a brain and promote
the dog to it's  fullest...then you take that 11.777 per day and take
out....payroll(for kennel  help), dog food, raw diet, supplements, vitamins,
cleaners,
nevermind the  phone bills to the client some each day...insurance/taxes on
the property your  kennel sits on/maintenance cause
some dogs ruin and eat the  kennel...shampoo's/conditioners/gas for
vehicles used to road work.../well  that pretty much leaves $3.45
p/day....once all is said and done on a  P&L ... Then it's expected for
whoever is conditioning the dog to, of  course, travel with the dog
and either have a handler or meet the handler  to show the dog. Because
most handlers have thier partners, wives, girlfriends  or whoever
do the grooming and doubling most people have come to "expect"  that
service. When that person adds in thier gas/hotel/meal/and a fee
to  groom or double the dog...it's another bill or for some it's
included...but  sometimes you get what you pay for too...knowing when and how
to call a dog  for doubling is an art...one of which most people don't
master...and when they  are in deep competition and loose cause they
didnt' know when to call the  dog at the right time and/or they got excited
and started running the wrong  way...<VBG> or maybe because
they are typical middle class hard  working people that got the bug, on a
sport they really can't afford but  try...  then they want to show, hire a
handler, go to a show and call the  dog when the handler raises their arm and
yells at them...they smile and are  caught videoing thier dog...instead or
just wave at the dog...but  they
really don't know what makes that dog tick cause they are new...and no  one
has the time...so many different scenario's but the bottom line
is, we  have made our sport, our breed what it is...and WE need to change
the mindset  of everyone. First of all, to have fun...second of all to hook
up with a  GOOD group of people that are doing this for the right
reasons...third, to  teach and give time to everyone in some way that can help
the next  generation or new people...and to MAKE our judges JUDGE the
DOGS...........not  the faces, not the kid, not the doublers, the DOG in the
RING...
what a  concept~

Well thats my take on it at least...go for the kids if you  can't afford a
top handler...or talk to your handler and let them know what's  up...that's
it's too
much for you to pay and if there is something you can  work out or make
payments etc...sometimes they are willing to work with you.  They don't have
a crystal ball to know your income and what is possilbe.  Please understand
though, when you hire a "kid" and I am starting to hate that  word...
understand, even with a great dog, it will sometimes loose...and if  all is
good, keep the faith...you will win...not all judges are afraid to put  up
a good dog with a "young or new" handler, if the dog is presented
correctly...and doubled correctly and shown in good condition...but don't take
it
out
on the young or new ... have patience...and realize once most  "Faces" see
a GOOD one with a kid, you will become easy pickin's...and   they
will approach you and tell you how wonderful your dog is, but if..."I  had
it I would do this or that different"...and then you get taken away by the
attention
and also start to realize the time and money your spending when  your not
winning...and end up going with the Face...again ~ once again it's  the
vicious circle of our sport....

Donna

Donna M.  Calabrese
Aramist Enterprises
onaluzlead@xxxxxxx
new website to  come...

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.