[ SHOWGSD-L ] Greats

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 21:49:19 -0500

go
again.
 Before it gets nasty on here, let's say this:  the title of Grand
Champion was instituted to get people to continue showing dogs after they'd
finished.  The title requires first, that the dog already be an AKC
Champion.  Then, the dog (or bitch) must be awarded 25 Grand Champion
points, including 3 majors (counted as in the classes...) under 3 different
judges, plus at least 1 point from a 4th judge.  Along the way the dog must
defeat at least one other Champion.
     The GC points are available only to Champions winning Best of Breed,
Best of Opposite, or Select Dog or Bitch.  Only one select per sex is
allowed, no matter how many champions of each sex are present.  Therefore,
if there are three male champions and one goes breed and another Select,
that Select dog has defeated a champion.  Voila........plan and simple.

   I agree with Ann that it is not difficult to attain Grand Champion
status...just look at almost any show catalog (all breed, anyway) and you
will see that most of the dogs entered for Best of Breed are Grands.
    The various levels (Silver, Gold, whatever) all have to do with how
often the dog gets chosen as Select.  At many shows there will only be two
champions of each sex, therefore the dog that doesn't "win" gets a Select.

   Awarding these points is supposed to be at the judge's discretion...if
you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you...just try not awarding them
and see how long it takes before you hear from the AKC.  These days, most of
the superintendents will come to you before the show is over to have you
award the points to the winners and to choose a Select.

     So - while it may not be a title that is hard to get, there's no reason
to denigrate it...it does take dedication, time, and money.......and when a
dog wins Breeds, groups, or even a Best, that dog isn't just getting the
title by default.

    Whether I like a dog or not, whether you like a dog or not, really
doesn't matter.  It's safe to presume that most owners like their dogs.  We
all know that Paula loves Harley and she has every reason to be proud of him
and any titles he has.  There's nothing more to say, especially when you
consider that the majority of us are NOT out there trying to get Grand
points...an awful lot of us retire a dog once it's finished....except for a
local specialty or so.

    I'm on lists with a lot of newbies...but this is the most argumentative
and contentious list I've ever been on.  Plus the length of time we beat
dead horses here is unbelievable.

  by the way...if anybody cares, my FAVORITE line from the Godfather is "Oh,
Paulie, won't see him no more."
  and once I disappear a person, that's what I say, too.
:-)
Peggy
.