[ SHOWGSD-L ] Great Lakes Futurity/Maturity Counts

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l GSDList" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:42:02 -0800

Ok, I've bred my first litter, and didn't nominate it.  It wasn't the
100 -however after 2 surgeries for one of the pups-maybe it was.  I don't
understand the system, or why to show with no points involved.  I don't get
it.  Maybe that's something that is missing for us newbies.
I do understand the parade of greats.  And have a hard time watching
that-without crying    The magnificence of those dogs take my breath away.

Pat Evans

Hi Pat....

Maybe I can shed some light on this, or then again, maybe I will only create
confusion - I'm equally good at that.

The Futurity/Maturity system is found in various parts of the show world,
most notably horse shows, and horse races. It is a breeders showcase for
their breeding program. Originally, whole litters were shown in the area in
which they were produced, but with modern transportation and national
competition, it has become a very popular and important show case for what
is happening to the breed.

It has no points in that it is not an AKC event. It is a breed club event,
and the awards are intended to reward the breeder for their expertise and
their breeding program. It also gives everyone who breeds a chance to see
these young dogs and follow them through their show career, and to access
them for breeding along the way/

We have never bred to a Grand Victor. We have often bred to a great Futurity
or Maturity winner though, who has later become a Grand Victor. Some of the
more recent ones are:
GV R-Man
GV Army of One
GV Color Guard
and many who were not GV at all, but who have shaped our breed:
Big Ben
Firecracker
Gotti
Bodega
And so on...

Yes, the Futurity and Maturity shows are just a match, but they are far
more. They are the lenses through which we can see the future of the breed
as it becomes reality and moves on through history. I personally love to see
the young dogs even more than their sires and dams in the ring.
Dave