[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDCA members - WAS how many litters

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RivendellP <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:26:36 -0700 (PDT)

Paul - a week and half ago I would have been right on board with the idea that
the club was full of responsible breeders and held the GSD in the highest
regard....then the Hunte thing started.  If you look back at the very beginning
of that string of posts the immediate defense of Hunte becoming a member was
that there were plenty of unethical bad breeders within the club so it would be
hypocritical to keep him out.  Throughout the week that theme continued along
with the acknowledgement that the club had nothing written in it's bylaws to
keep Hunte out,  that there were many examples of bad breeders brought to the
attention of the board, yet members are never expelled from the club and so on.

  Well lets just say my fantasy of what this club stands for went the way of
Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.  I had this club as a group on a pedestal
because I naively thought that

  A. the rumors of bad breeders was more about bad blood than anything.  I
personnally have not had any bad experiences with unethical breeders so
anything I've heard is purely hearsay and not something I am inclined to buy
into.

  B.  the club was tough on individual members for their breeding practice and
basically policed their own.

  Now, I know none of that is true.  Not only may Hunte become a member, but he
will be welcomed by some...if not with open arms than with a nod a a wink over
coffee and maybe some discussion on how the HS and other animals rights group
can be beat.

  I'm very disappointed in this club and what I thought it stood for.  Will I
remain a member if Hunte becomes one?  Yes, because even in my own indignation,
I have a potential ROM bitch...and some nice youngsters up and coming......not
sure exactly what that says about me and my values.

  And remember, if Hunte and any other puppy miller can join, and if any
backyard breeder can join, then they too are GSDCA members and automatically
become part of "WE", but that doesn't mean they will practice responsible
breeding practices or treasure the GSD and there is nothing any of us can do
about that.
  Cindy

  PS - sorry I know you were addressing the rescue issue, but my response that
was quoted below was really related to the Hunte membership.

RivendellP <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think the days of this club and members of this list taking some moral
high ground over backyard breeders and puppy millers is over. It's up to us
as individuals to make sure we are doing the right thing by the breed so
perhaps a better word would be "I" going forward, as in I make sure to find
good homes for my puppies and I decide when and how often I can breed and
still do that. Just a thought.
Cindy

Paul opines...

Let me preface by saying we have been in the breed for over 25 years. During
that time we have been involved in regional clubs and rescue. Our kennel has
kept and screened for adoption...100's of rescue and I have walked the halls
of the shelters making the tought decisions.

Some on "Da List" have done the same and it has affected their thought
making process. Whether it's right or wrong is a coin toss...but it does
affect a person in a very profound way.

Less than 20% of dogs in shelters are purebred and 90% of those are either
adopted or rescued. The rest are unadoptable due to health or temperament.
The majority of animals in shelters are feral cats and they are followed by
mix breed dogs that likely come from irresponsible owners that let Fluffy
and Duke go forth to do Gods will...even tho it isn't God's will. Mother
Nature controls who's bred and who isn't.

In some areas of the country there are more irresponsible pet owners than
others and there can be a population problem. In other areas of the country
dogs must be imported to those areas so shelters can have an adoption
program.

This is not...a rescue list...it is a conformation list. Breeders are
welcome here...and even more so if they are responsible breeders.
Responsibility in breedeing and ownership of the GSD has been a cherished
principle of the GSDC of A and its committees like RALEEF forever.

Paul