[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDCA ELECTION QUES. - Question # 9

  • From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 22:41:28 -0400

Our AOE dogs are 5-6 when they they start to do performance

Rally is not that easy for a dog that has not been patterned young.

I voted against barn hunt, duck diving and lure coursing as an inclusion for
work

On 7 Aug 2015, at 21:52, gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Mrs. Franklin,

Thank you!!! Yes, the first dogs I look for are AOE and PAM dogs!! Haha

I hope to have a dog that has earned both! I am working on PAM requirements
right now...

Well, Rally Novice is SUPER EASY! My GSD earned it as a puppy at 9 months, I
believe! I know
she was definitely under a year old! It's all on leash and no precision is
required. You are allowed
multiple commands and constant praise and encouragement(like clapping your
hands and patting
your leg) during the exercises (unlike obedience). I am shocked they said it
required a
considerable amount of work for a passing score! It's so easy that any dog with
minimal training
will pass with a qualifying score!

I agree on tracking, herding, and agility which is why we recommended the CD
only as part of a hypo
thetical AOE requirement! I have received both and a CD title on a dog REALLY
requires the CONSIDER
ABLE amount of work!

For IPO, before the dog may compete for any titles it is required to perform a
BH which is a temper
ament and basic obedience test all in one. Part of the exam is contact with
other dogs...I will enc
lose link on test:
http://www.vonlotta.com/bhrules.html

I was just questioning whether the requirements for AOE were sufficient.
Mostly, I was curious what
future board members would feel regarding the issue! Of course, we want our
best dogs to share suc
h a prestigious title....

Thank you for your time!

Warm Regards,

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 7, 2015, at 9:32 PM, Helen Franklin <helenfranklin520@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you Sarah for your interest in AOE. I have been privileged to speak
with many of our AOE
recipients and discussed at length
their experience earning the Rally Novice Title. According to our members,
as related to me, thi
s title is one of a considerable amount
of work between the dog and the trainer, displaying many of the breed
instincts attributed to the
German Shepherd Dog. The Herding
Title and Tracking Title, or Schutzhund Title do not require "other dogs" as
you mentioned. We
the Chair's of AOE, believe that the
qualifications for AOE are both responsible and what the GSDCA should require
of our best German
Shepherds.

May I inquire Sarah, If you have ever earned an AOE? Are you questioning our
requirements for an
y purpose?
Do know that I am always here to answer any questions you may have.
Helen Franklin
AOE Co- Chair

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM, <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mrs. Franklin,

Thank you for your reply. I know a lot of us who have put RNs on our
shepherds realize it is a V
ERY easy performance title to earn. I do not mean that disrespectfully. I was
just curious if the f
uture Board would prefer a tad higher degree of training for our top Select
German shepherds......T
hat's all.

Personally, I and many others I have spoken with would like to see a CD
requirement as part of t
he AOE. As someone who has also put that title on my shepherd, I know the
degree of difficulty that
title entails. One of the discussions that took place was that a RN was an
easy title could be att
ained and a title that does not require the dog to be in the same ring as other
dogs. I know that
sounds crazy but people who show in performance understand a lot of dogs with
shaky temperaments (o
r dog aggression) avoid the obedience ring simply because they cannot be around
other dogs off leas
h.

Our thought was that the AOE should be maybe a bit more difficult to attain
so only spectacular
animals would qualify. After all, they should be our "best". Sometimes, if a
title like AOE is ea
sy to attain , it loses it's value. I was just curious what the future board
might believe on this
topic.

However, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter! I am very happy
that any performanc
e title is required along with temperament test and hip/elbow clearances. I am
proud of our AOE dog
s! I'm not trying to criticize just offer a suggestion that might improve our
breed moving forward.

Kind Regards,
Sarah
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 7, 2015, at 5:34 PM, Helen Franklin <helenfranklin520@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

9) Do you think the AOE should require a performance title that involves
the dog to compete in
a performance class other than rally novice?

Dr Zoe Backman
http://wynsumgsd.com
POST is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original
are permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group and its
any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html