[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD in kill shelter in HORRIFIC STATE

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kris Kudel <vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 04:44:52 -0700 (PDT)

Kris, thank you so much for all of your efforts on this girls behalf. I stand
corrected if this is NOT a kill shelter...maybe I am jaded from so many
photographs of dogs headed to the gas chamber. 220,000 were killed in NC alone
last year, most by IP injection, heart stick or gas chamber. There ARE some
good facilities out there to be sure, and perhaps this is one.
The problem is, that if this poor girl cannot use her rear end, she will be
covered in ulcers from dragging on the concrete. She needs DESPERATLEY to get
out of this situation and get onto some soft footing. Even with that, I do not
know any dog who would be happy continuing like this. I lost my first GSD
Krunch to DM...we spent thousands and thousands of dollars on his care....it
was 24/7 for over 2 years. Even with all of the wrappings and medications and
special beds, he developed ulcers that just would not heal. A dog isnt a person
who you can position and cushion. They move and then the pillow shifts, or
whatever. If she is not adopted ASAP, then it would be the more humane thing to
let her go. Take her out for a ride to a beautiful field of grass, give her a
steak and lots of love for the day, then let her go to where she would be in no
more discomfort and be whole again. Sometimes we try to hold on to that which
wants to leave...I have been there. I know. I spent
 over 10,000 on my little girl Shandra who died at 3 from mesenteric
torsion...months of IV's, vet tech visits, emergency runs back to
Tufts Veterinary, I think I bought out the Prozyme company. All she could eat
was boiled chicken and rice..she lived on Immodium and Pepto. I didnt see her
suffering, I only saw my sweet baby wagging her tail and licking my face...I
didnt want to see how bad she really was.  She lived 7 months like this, until
her poor little body gave up.
After she died, I looked at her photos that we had taken of her sunning herself
in the yard with her buddy Krunch..I swore I would never do that to another
dog. It was selfish and cruel. There ARE things worse than death...I only
object to the methods that these facilities use. Gas chambers are NOT humane!
To give this dog a sedative to put her into a deep sleep then an injection to
let her go is not cruel...it is the kindest thing anyone could do.
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for responding to my emails.
It was MOST helpful!!! Now I know of yet another facility who cares about its
animals!  I hope to meet you some time and thank you in person!!!! God Bless
and keep you...Dawn

Dorothy, and no this aint Kansas