[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD Stories

  • From: "Trudy Roundy - Shadara" <shadara@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:37:15 -0700 (Mountain Standard Time)

My first GSD Conan was so special that after he died it took me 22 years to
decide to get another one.  When my kids were little.....4 & 8...........
they had been sent out to play while I cleaned house.  In the middle of
mopping the kitchen floor,  the front door bell rang.  When I answered the
door, there sat Conan.  At that particular house the dog run was around back
at the side of the house.  The backyard was fenced separately from the front
yard so basically you had to go through 3 gates (with 3 different type
latches) to get from the backyard to the front door.

I looked for the kids.............preparing to scold them for letting out
the dog........but they were at the next door neighbors playing.  So I took
Conan back to his run and went back to my mopping.  About 5 minutes later,
the door bell rings again and there sits
Conan on the front porch.

Now I've had it...............those darn kids are playing a game and think
it's funny to let the dog out.  So I take Conan back to his run and seek out
the children.  Children swear that they did not let the dog out.  Neighbor
and her kids back up their story so I decide to hide and see what is going
on.  Well I had to wait about 5 minutes to see Conan opening the gate on his
run, turn and shut the run gate, open the backyard gate, go thru it and turn
and close it.  Now he is out of a fenced area.........he could go where ever
he wanted but he proceeds to the gate to the front yard, opens it, turns and
closes it, walks up to the front door, rings the bell and sits down to wait
for an answer. He was very surprised when he saw me coming from my hiding
spot at the neighbors. Guess he was mad that the kids had gone to the
neighbors to play and he was alone an out in the run that day.  I should
have made him finish mopping.

He died suddenly not long after that.  About eight months later I decided to
get another dog but couldn't bring myself to get another GSD.  I decided to
get a Doberman instead (showed them for years after that). I purchased a
puppy and brought it home while the kids were at school.  The puppy's ear's
were still racked from being cropped.  My son came home........looked at the
puppy with this strange look on his face, turned and said, "It's cute Mom,
but why did you buy one with broken ears?"

Trudy R.