[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: [gsdshowlist] Motion in the German Shepherd Dog

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: janandmort@xxxxxxx, israelfriedberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 06:59:42 -0400 (EDT)

Actually the walk is one of the biggest factors for me picking a  puppy.  I
usually choose at the 5 week mark, watch until 6  weeks  because my
companion puppies go to their homes at 8 weeks.  By 5 weeks I  can sit outside
and
watch and watch and watch. I am looking for balance on  different terrain, a
"lion cub" type of walk.  Obviously early  on I can see things like
structure, bone, depth of body etc., but if I  don't see that "lion cub"
movement
at a walk it's probably not a good  one.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 7/21/2011 9:03:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
janandmort@xxxxxxx writes:

I like  to see the walk for the reasons I stated BUT faults are visible in
all  phases.
We must not just judge on motion alone but consider all aspects of  the dog
exhibited --the stand picture, coming and going, the walk and all  phases
of the trot and of course temperament and character.
If a male looks  like a female but has superb movement the breeding worth
is questionable and  therefore must be penalized.
Males move differently than females but the  qualities are the same.
So in direct answer to your question all factors  are considered and the
walk is part of the equation.
Thank you for the  post,
MG

What was was, what is is --but what was is and what is  was!!

Morton Goldfarb