[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: URGENT GSD in need!!!

  • From: gsd4meee <gsd4meee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:28:16 -0800 (PST)

Where is the dog and what facility did it come from?
Randy Hamm
Von Hamms German Shepherds
Falkrigia@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 12/20/2004 11:30:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx writes:

> Where is the seeing eye that placed this dog? Has anyone tried to contact
> them???
> Deb

My understanding from a friend who took in an old seeing-eye dog is that the
person who gets the dog is responsible for any placement once the dog is no
longer working. The seeing-eye group does NOT take back any dogs. I was
astounded at this and think it's an horrendous way to do dogs that give years
of
dedicated service to people. If the person can't handle having 2 dogs, then
they
have to find the old dog a place by themselves which seems like it would be
pretty difficult in itself with the lack of sight situation. And if they die or
go
into a facility, then the dog is 'up for grabs' so to speak or on its own as
this poor dog is. horrible situation. I don't know if that's true of all
seeing-eye groups but it was the case with the dog that my friend adopted. He
was
10 years old and retiring with no place to go and no help to find a place.
Disgusting.

I'll be glad to help get him to whomever could take him if there's somebody
down this way.
lynda

Check out our websites for constantly updated info and pictures
www.falkrigiashepherds.com
www.thecraftywoodchuck.com

POST is Copyrighted 2004. All material remains the property of the original