[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: New PA Dog Legislation

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 11:52:48 EDT

see below, answers in "<>"

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 5/4/2008 10:41:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I still  have serious issues with it....

The legislation gives the Bureau of Dog  Law Enforcement the power to revoke
licenses, confiscate dogs and levy  penalties of up to $1,000 a day, even for
someone who is later found not  guilty in a court of law. The Bureau also
would be given the power to levy  those penalties and confiscate dogs without
even filing charges against a  person who is accused of a violation.

This is flat out wrong, and  totally unconstitutional.

<Kathy here.  I don't have as much trouble as you do with it, but  agree
there may be some constitutional issues.  As far as confiscation  before filing
charges, the same can be done by children's services.  (I'm  not equating
children w/ dogs.!) I don't know what the answer is, and I'm quite  sure there
isn't
a perfect answer, but I know when living things are in  jeopardy, some
provision must be made for immediate removal.>

An accused personâ??s fate rests entirely in the  hands of the dog  warden, the
Bureau that employs the dog warden, and  an administrative panel or  law
judges who are employed by the Bureau.  An accused person is required to
prove her or his innocence â?? in fact, he  or she must convince his accusers
in  order to have  the charges  and penalties dropped or reduced.
This legislation thus attempts to  transform the Dog Law Bureau into the
judge, jury and hangman.

Which  is the exact opposite of how the constitution works... it is supposed
to be  up to the state to prove guilt, not the other way  around.

<Well, not quite.  Information is gathered, where appropriate,  charges are
filed and then the accused has an opportunity to defend.   Judges are not
"employed" by the bureau.  The above paragraph seems to be  taken entirely from
Mr.
Yates writings and is misleading.  As far as  "convincing" his accusers of
innocence once charges are brought in order  to  have charges and/or penalties
reduced or dropped, well, as far as I  know, that's the way our legal system
works.  It's called "putting on a  defense".)

There is no reason in this day and age that a vet  has to administer rabies
vaccine. When the rabies laws were first passed  the vaccine of choice was
"modified live" vaccine.. it made sense that a  professional that new what
they were doing administer the vaccine as there  was a danger from the
vaccine.  Today a "killed" vaccine is used, and  it is not at all dangerous,
and there is no reason a "lay person" should  not be allowed to administer
the vaccine.

<Sure there is.  We allow kennel owners to administer rabies  vaccines NOW w/
a waiver, and great many don't.  IF we want rabies vaccines  at all, IF we
believe it's important, there needs to be some system of checks  and balances.

Or else, don't bother mandating a rabies vaccine.

Interestingly, this doesn't apply to puppies produced by millers, since the
age for rabies vaccines is 12 weeks, well after puppies have left a  mill.
Currently, those who have a kennel and obtain a waiver from  Harrisburg to do
their own shots only have to show on their <paper>  records that a particular
dog has been vaccinated.  Their proof of  vaccination IS NOT GOOD once the dogs
leaves their hands OR travels. If a dog is  sold, transferred etc., it must be
re vaccinated. But lets say you are a handler  w/ kennels.  You only need to
show the right number of certificates at  time of inspection.  Have 40 dogs?
Come up w/ 40 certificates.   Or, if you have received a waiver to do your own
shots, come up with  records that you have vaccinated 15 dogs that never
leave and the balance of  certificates from vets.  None of the dogs have ID
listed
on any of the  certificates, so no matter if the vaccinations were done by
the kennel owner OR  a vet now, there's really no proof that a particular dog
was vaccinated.   Are you beginning to see the contradiction in the regulations
currently on the  books? If you aren't blurry eyed yet, you should be!  Like i
expressed  previously, I'd go further requiring some sort of ID on a rabies
cert.>

I also have issues requiring OUT OF STATE rescues  to get a PA dealer's
license if they send any dogs to PA rescues.   Requiring that dogs sent to PA
have current health certificates is one  thing... but requiring a dealers
license is absurd.  I would just stop  sending any rescued animals to PA. In
fact I have.

<This is a sticky one and I don't have any suggestions but let me try to
clarify the dilemna.  The problem is defining "rescue".  Many, many,  many
Ginger
aren't really not for profits and my guess is you would view those  as "not
quite rescues".  There are all sorts of fees, (and I'm not talking  about
donations), charged a prospective new home and if you expect me to believe
some of
these aren't big, BIG profit centers...well...I don't.  I  won't bore
everyone with what I recently experienced trying to find a Golden  rescue for
one of
my mother's friends who wanted to "do good".  Believe me  it would have been
easier (and less money!) to just go and buy a puppy from a  reputable Golden
breeder.

The new legislation defines "dealer" as someone who earns a  commission.
Actually, that's the short definition.  PA has a shortage  of dogs in many
location available for adoptions and dogs are being imported  from other
locations.
How do you suggest separating those who see a need  and are filling it for
financial gain from legitimate rescues?  And  why WOULD'T you license and
regulate the first group?  How do you  exempt the second?

See, more questions on my part than useful suggestions, but the gist is,
many rescues are profit centers and those probably should be  regulated.>

In addition... All vehicles being used to  transport dogs are subject to
inspection and must meet requirements for  such transportation through
regulations as promulgated by the  secretary.

I read that part above as...... Any police officer, dog  warden etc can stop
my car and inspect it because I am transporting a dog.  Talk about 4th
Amendment violation!  Having a dog in the car is not  "probable cause", or
certainly shouldn't be.

<I think that's a stretch.  Remember how we all felt when a tractor  trailer
carrying puppies burned up?>

And I have a real issue with parts of Section 206  Kennels

This section describes the different kennels that need  licensed
....A separate license shall be required for each type of kennel  and every
location at which a kennel is kept or operated.

Would this  mean that every Rescue Network Kennel Home would need a separate
license at  each separate location?
<If they hit 26 dogs in any one calendar year, inclusive of  their  own dogs,
yes, that's the way I read it.>

Would a Private Kennel that also does some small  rescue work need to apply
for both types of kennel licenses? We have this  issue in GA... and IMHO it
is nothing more than a money grab.  If you  have licensed kennel, it
shouldn't also be required to pay another several  hundred dollars for a
rescue license, or vice versa, as you have to here in  GA.  Additionally one
license should include ALL  locations.

<I agree.>

As a "draft" goes... it falls miserably short,  IMHO.

Ginger Cleary

favorites at AOL Food.