[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: New PA Dog Legislation

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 09:49:10 EDT

This piece of his is much improved:)  I wouldn't say "a deal has been  cut".
I'd say the dog owners, clubs etc., are working very hard to come up  w/ a
good piece of legislation.  But OK, his makes a better headline  <G>.

This looks like a good draft.  FYI, it came out now to give everyone  time to
review before the next meeting. The dialogue is still ongoing.   Hobby
breeders are protected, commercial kennels are defined and JUST MAYBE our
wardens
will now have the power behind them to enforce some things in the courts  that
they haven't been able to overcome in the past because of the feds (in the
form of USDA licenses and compliance.)

See, I think that's what a lot of people just don't get.  IF anyone  watched
the Oprah show, those mills were USDA licensed and inspected according  to
their schedule.  In order to obtain information, find violations, get a
prosecutor involved, file charges a warden would FIRST have to gain access.
(Good
luck.) IF a PA warden brought information to a prosecutor and charges  were
filed, they more often than not were thrown out due to the amazing  patchwork
of
laws, both federal and state that currently exist.  I could  give you name
after
name of puppy mill that has had citation after citation,  charge after
charge, year after year just thrown out while every Sunday  their puppy ads are
in
the papers and/or you drive down country roads and see  their hand painted
signs propped up at the end of the driveway. To say "just  enforce what's on
the
books" is to not have an understanding that what's on the  books is a mess!
Local authorities have one set of rules, state another  and the feds trump.
Penalties were ill defined and more often than not a  slap on the wrist.

I don't have trouble w/ all of the things Mr. Yates has trouble with;  for
instance, I have no problem denying felons a kennel license (many, many,  many
professional licenses/jobs do that), and I have no problem saying a dog  owner
can't kill their own dog.  I know, I know, in the case of an accident  a poor
dog is going to suffer on the way to the vet.  That to me is a fair  trade for
preventing dogs from being shot or bludgeoned to death when they can  no
longer reproduce, or just as atrocious, puppies that aren't sold being killed
by
the millers.

I'm "OK" with someone not being able to obtain a state  kennel license  when
their local municipality has restrictions against kennels.  (I always  have
been, to me that just makes sense.  If you live in a town that has  zoning that
prohibits kennels how can you apply for a state kennel  license?)

I'm "OK" with vets having to give a rabies shot.  In fact, while we  are at
it, IF you are going to bother w/ shots at all, something that has always
troubled me is that there is no ID required on the rabies certificate.  We  all
have permanent ID for our dogs, it's required by the AKC.  Why not put  a chip
or a tattoo # on a certificate?  To me requiring certification  without ID is
silly. If you get bit and someone has multiple dogs and they  produce a
certificate that says "Buffy" had her rabies shot, how do you  know it was
"Buffy"
that bit you and not "Taffy"?  Ever see handlers  produce a stack of current
certs when entering show grounds that require proof  of rabies and you know
darned right well the certs don't match up w/ the dogs in  the van?

But overall, I'm glad Mr. Yates has toned it down.  Thanks  Stormy:)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 5/3/2008 8:55:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:

O.K.,  Cathy, Fire away!   :-), Mr. Yates has some postive comments about
the
legislation throughout this  article.
Storm

favorites at AOL Food.