[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: For My Seed People

  • From: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx
  • To: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:12:21 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/2010 7:16:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx writes:
> jamie - why don't you tell us all how to harvest the seeds from what you
>
> have sent us - then we can help you supply next year.
Well....it's very easy...a little time-consuming, but rewarding
nonetheless.
    Each flower has its own way....for instance, the morning glory flowers
dry up and form a little brown seed pod.  In each seed pod, there are four
little black seeds....so you get 4 for 1 from each flower.
    With marigolds, you just wait until the flower is all dried up, pull up
what was once the petals, and voila!  Each individual petal is now a
seed....from them, you get hundreds of seeds from one flower.  Same with
zinnias
and gaillardia. The four-O'clock flowers produce one big seed that looks like
a tiny grenade....Larkspurs also form pods from each blossom containing
hundreds of tiny black seeds.  Hollyhocks form a pod that looks kind of like a
mushroom, and in those pods, all lined up, are round seeds.
     Picking them is simple....cleaning them up to individual seeds is the
time-consuming part.  Separating the chaff from the wheat, as it were.  But
while you're doing that, it's a good time to reflect on nature's abundance.
Reassuring, in a way.
     Jamie