[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: For My Seed People

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx, Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:23:59 EDT

Wow, thank you Jamie, I never knew that!!!!  I plant a type of  marigolds
every year from the local nursery that literally get to be as big as  mum
bushes.  They need to be staked, sometimes in as many as 4  places.  Nice to
know how to collect seeds!!!!

This past fall the ornamental lilies had the pods you describe.  I bet  I
could have harvested something from those had I know....will try this
fall....

Some of my snap dragons came back this year...a gift!!!!

But I am waiting until after Mother's Day to plant annuals this
year...lesson learned, I lost the first batch to a late frost last year.

TC,

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 4/23/2010 10:12:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx writes:

In a  message dated 4/22/2010 7:16:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx writes:
> jamie - why don't you tell us all how  to harvest the seeds from what you

> have sent us - then  we can help you supply next year.
Well....it's very easy...a little  time-consuming, but rewarding
nonetheless.
Each flower  has its own way....for instance, the morning glory flowers
dry up and form  a little brown seed pod.  In each seed pod, there are four
little  black seeds....so you get 4 for 1 from each flower.
With  marigolds, you just wait until the flower is all dried up, pull up
what  was once the petals, and voila!  Each individual petal is now a
seed....from them, you get hundreds of seeds from one flower.  Same  with
zinnias
and gaillardia. The four-O'clock flowers produce one big seed  that looks
like
a tiny grenade....Larkspurs also form pods from each  blossom containing
hundreds of tiny black seeds.  Hollyhocks form a  pod that looks kind of
like a
mushroom, and in those pods, all lined up,  are round seeds.
Picking them is simple....cleaning  them up to individual seeds is the
time-consuming part.  Separating  the chaff from the wheat, as it were.
But
while you're doing that,  it's a good time to reflect on nature's
abundance.
Reassuring, in a  way.
Jamie

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org