[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fleas-Immune System vs Environmental

  • From: shirley sommers <ssthunderpony@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:28:49 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the enlightenment.

  I sure hope you can solve the problem as it must be awful.
  I also believe somehow Fleas can be affected by weather patterns .

  -point-
  We had a severe drought here about 20 years ago. never will forget that
because in order to  feed our livestock   we had to purchase hay trucked in
from the Northwest where they grew by irrigation. . Most expensive  dried grass
I have ever seen in my life !

  back on topic ...............  the following year you could not step one foot
anywhere without being literally attacked by hundreds of fleas even in the
pastures or the super dry dust bowls the horses use  to roll in . It was
horrible.

  After   about 2 or 3 years the fleas gradually went away .
  Could it be the sub zero winters we have ? No idea .

  You have my sympathy and I wish you the best,
  ~S
   ``````````````````````````````````````
Edmund Burke, Irish orator, philosopher & politician (1729 - 1797)

The Crystal Crow <thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  *A properly fed dog in excellent health including a strong immune
system will seldom if ever get fleas.*
I'm going to have to disagree with this one.

I'm glad that you and your dogs are chemical- and flea-free, as that is very
healthy for all of you. (here comes the "but") BUT fleas in my area (central
Virginia) are environmentally acquired, not through weakening of the immune
system. Flea infestations in my area run in a three year cycle-every third
year everyone gets them, and not just the dogs. We can walk into our back
yard and the fleas will jump on us from the grass-it's horrible. Unless we
treat the lawn, the dogs become loaded with them, and none of the flea
preventatives work in that third year-there are just too many fleas.

In the off years I just treat the dogs with Frontline, but every third year
I have to treat the yard as well, or else even I get fleas (ugh) just from
stepping into my own yard. The dogs love to play in the yard and lie in the
grass, and they will come in the house loaded. The first year I bought the
property, I was shocked. I talked to neighbors and found that the
infestation is part of the environment of the area. All of my neighbors with
pets treat their lawns in order to make their pets comfortable and
flea-free, and most have to spray their houses in that third year.

Living in Western NY, however, I do not remember fleas ever being a problem
indoors or out. Ticks were another story!

Kristal

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

TV dinner still cooling?