[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fleas-Immune System vs Environmental

  • From: Grace Eaton <zgrace_grace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:49:36 -0800 (PST)

I live in cenral texas and we used to have a flea problem but...we sprayed the
yard every 21 days for two months and I haven't had to treat the yard since! We
just took advatage of the flea cycle to waste em' LOL!
   I do, however use Advantix monthly on my dogs and Revolution on my cats. I
live on 12 acres and we have deer running around in and out but when we treated
the yard it wasonly the dog yards, not hte entire property. I don't have a flea
problem at all. In fact I bet I don't even need to use the Advantaix in the
winter but I odn't want to take a chance on the fleas returning. We've kept
them at bay for...going on 10 years now!

  Maybe, if you and your neighbors would work together and treat your yards at
the same time, every twenty one days for awhile you could diminish the
infestation to almost nill?
  Grace Eaton
The Crystal Crow <thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  *A properly fed dog in excellent health including a strong immune
system will seldom if ever get fleas.*
I'm going to have to disagree with this one.

I'm glad that you and your dogs are chemical- and flea-free, as that is very
healthy for all of you. (here comes the "but") BUT fleas in my area (central
Virginia) are environmentally acquired, not through weakening of the immune
system. Flea infestations in my area run in a three year cycle-every third
year everyone gets them, and not just the dogs. We can walk into our back
yard and the fleas will jump on us from the grass-it's horrible. Unless we
treat the lawn, the dogs become loaded with them, and none of the flea
preventatives work in that third year-there are just too many fleas.

In the off years I just treat the dogs with Frontline, but every third year
I have to treat the yard as well, or else even I get fleas (ugh) just from
stepping into my own yard. The dogs love to play in the yard and lie in the
grass, and they will come in the house loaded. The first year I bought the
property, I was shocked. I talked to neighbors and found that the
infestation is part of the environment of the area. All of my neighbors with
pets treat their lawns in order to make their pets comfortable and
flea-free, and most have to spray their houses in that third year.

Living in Western NY, however, I do not remember fleas ever being a problem
indoors or out. Ticks were another story!

Kristal

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

            Grace Eaton
  Sirius German Shepherds
  zgrace_grace@xxxxxxxxx

Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your question
on Yahoo! Answers.