[ SHOWGSD-L ] Film on destruction of the GSD

  • From: Julie Harel <july9000@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:58:58 -0400

Don't want to be crucified but here my 2 cents on this..

I think American GSD have made a LOT of progress from the 80's ( I would
have never own a Am. GSD then) but let's face it..A lot of the show dogs
today could not handle police work, SAR or in my opinion any kind of
work..We still see way too much spooky dogs , overanglulated dogs that drags
their feets and could not jump a schutzhund one jump.  I know I'm not going
to make friends by saying that.  Can someone out there is capable of giving
me one AM. Bred show GSD( no german line in it) with a sch. Title or HGH??
Or an Am. GSD with the drive and guts to achieve a sch. Title?
I do adore the Am. Bred GSD ( and in fact love the fact that they have less
drive)...but I think there is still a lot of thing that has to improve on
working ability..And sorry for saying this but having owned working dogs
before, we are still far from what Captain wrote that the GSD is 1st a
WORKING DOG..beauty is suppose to come after..That's what the SV standard
say..not me!!
AKC herding was made for for australian shepherd and border collies not for
GSD, there is a big difference between working 10 sheeps and working 300
sheeps.  The styles are very different and you have no gripping in AKC style
( in fact you are disqualifie I think if your dog bite the sheep).  In HGH
gripping (bite) the sheep is very important and on command.  And the dog has
to jump fence and work a long period..Overangulation and cowhocks are not a
qualities in herding or any type of work. Did you know that working folks
would love to separate the breed because they are so far apart..Am. Shepherd
and German Shepherd..!!

But they do have the most beautiful side gait tought!! JMO

Julie