[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FW: Question of the all knowing

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mlgray@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:58:31 -0600

On 10/13/07 3:35 PM, Mike Gray wrote:
> All along I-80 in Wyoming there are what appears to be little sections of
> fencing. Any one know what they might be for?
  This is probably snow fencing.  Sometimes it looks like huge picnic
tables tipped on their sides; sometimes it looks like lathing (lathes?
1.5" thin strips of wood) set vertically between strands of wire;
sometimes it's a few parallel rows of small evergreens (e.g. west of
Limon on I-70).  It's designed to slow the wind down before it crosses
the highway, to slow it just enough so that if the wind is blowing snow
it will drop some/most of that snow at the fence and not blow all of it
across the highway.  That way, the drifts form off the highway rather
than on it (these windblown drifts can be deep and packed hard!) and
visibility isn't reduced as much by the blowing snow.

  If you're botanically inclined and have someone else driving, you
should be able to see that the plant life around the fence is different
than further away; the amount of snow that gets trapped often makes a
big difference in the amount of water available for plants.

Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog)  &  Brittany