[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Epilepsy study/Long

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: vonadlerhof@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:06:01 EST

In a message dated 1/24/06 11:39:41 AM, vonadlerhof@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Can someone please give me the name of the person on the list that is
doing the epilepsy research again?
Thanks in advance.
Bonnie >>

Bonnie and listers -

I have often posted to the list whenever the topic of seizures or epilepsy
comes up, and I keep my information about epilepsy up to date.

I am not a vet and do not work in the veterinary field, but I had a wonderful
dog that had cluster seizures that started shortly before the dog turned
three.

I have a very detailed diary of every seizure the dog ever had, and all the
conditions (weather, time, season, household changes, diet, etc.) that were
going on at the time the seizures occurred.  I don't know WHY I started the
journal, but over time, it proved to be a very valuable record, because I did
detect a pattern to the clusters.

Because I have posted that I keep any and all data people send me, I MAY be
the person you are thinking of; but my "study" of epilepsy is done for personal
reasons - I will communicate privately with ANYONE who would like to talk
about epilepsy.  Bear in my mind that I have two perspectives -- the medical
perspective given to me by Dr. Alan Parker, head of Veterinary Neurology at
University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana, who treated my dog.  If that man
had
told me that running naked down a main street in January in Chicago would have
cured his epilepsy, I would have done it!  Greatest doctor, (including any I
have seen for my own healthcare) I have ever met.

The second perspective is the personal account of what we went through during
the years we managed the dogs condition.  The second, third, fourth opinions,
the feeling of helplessness, the changes we made to the house to keep the dog
safe if he had a seizure when we weren't home......the measures we took so
that I could get the dog to the ER alone if necessary.....this is all in a
document I will send to anyone who requests it.  Again, it's an emotional
account,
but if you have an epileptic at least you will find someone else who has
experienced it and learned to manage and live with it.

The University of Missouri in Columbia, MO was at one time conducting some
very intense studies into canine epilepsy and may still be doing so.  When I
first heard about the study, they were asking for blood samples and pedigrees
of
affected dogs and non -- affected relatives if possible.  I was able to
provide both.

We started with Phenobarbital, and when we met Dr. Parker two months later,
he predicted that it would fail within six months.  It only took two...and we
went to potassium bromide.  Per Dr. Parker, Phenobarbital is less than 50%
effective in treating epilepsy in German Shepherds.  Both drugs do affect liver
and kidneys over the long term; there are vitamin supplements and homeopathic
remedies that help support liver and kidney functions, and other supplements
that are very helpful to support the dog's health while taking these
medications.
 I will not post that information to the list because I believe that it would
be irresponsible on my part because as I said, I'm not a vet.  I will share
that information privately, IF your dog is under the care of veterinarian who
can discuss these supplements with you.

Vitamins and homeopathic remedies are wonderful things, but they must be
carefully considered for their benefit vs. risk.

I apologize if the two previous statements sound harsh; I don't mean it that
way, but I work with a lot of remedies and supplements (I am trained for it)
and although you can purchase almost all of them over the counter, they are not
benign substances.

Once again, I am more than willing to discuss epilepsy with each and every
one of you who cares to contact me privately.  My files are private and so is
your privacy.

We were able to work with an excellent doctor and our dog was very happy and
had a good quality of life until the end, but it took months to get the
seizures manageable.
During and following the clusters, he would be miserable for a few days, but
the rest of the time he was a clown.  When adult onset epilepsy (generally
around age 3) strikes, it devastates you emotionally.  Over the years, I've had
contact from a lot of people and my ONLY desire is to share with you what we
learned, and how we lived with it.  Living with it was our choice.  When I lost
my dog, I swore that I would do everything in my power to help others who
found themselves in the same situation by sharing.

So please feel free to contact me if you would like to do so.

Regards,

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds