[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Entry Count - WHY?

  • From: Bedkar <bedkar@xxxxx>
  • To: hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:26:09 -0400 (EDT)

AMEN, Christine.
As a breeder judge of GSD, I must remember that I am an AB judge for the other
breeds
I am approved to judge.  I am obligated to thoroughly know those breeds.
Two years ago, when I was still provisional in Golden Ret., I had the pleasure
of judging
an entry of 60+ ..... I ended up placing a 12-18 month male WD and BOB over 13
specials.
This past weekend, I had the pleasure of watching him go BOB in a specialty of
137 GR and
on Saturday, I watched him go Best in Show.  This applies in reverse.  There
are AB judges
that are very serious about their obligation to every breed they judge and that
includes
GSD....and I am as proud of winning under them as any breeder judge.
Kay

 Date: Monday, March 31, 2014, 12:16 AM

 I don't claim to know anything about
 Labs...that is why I was
 asking...but I figured there must be a difference between
 the
 "working" or  "field" Labs and pure show dogs.
 Typically that
 is the case in every working Breed.
 That is pretty much what I was saying...that the 'divisions'

 within a Breed IS part of the problem?

 Here in Calif. we often see many of the same people at our
 GSD
 Specialty shows and some All Breeds.   Most
 are just glad
 to be there, to see each other to see new puppies, and to
 see
 the competing animals and just enjoy a show.
 Are we all always happy with the winners?  Of course
 not.  <G>
 Is there often a difference in the winners between All
 Breeds
 and Specialties?  Of course...but there is also a
 difference
 in the judges, the judging, and the rings.
 I am not assigning any blame to anything....but I STILL
 don't
 think we can compare other Breeds or Breed show entries to
 our
 GSD and expect to come up with the same problems or some
 magic
 reason for the  "rise and fall" of a Breeds popularity
 and the
 size of their shows compared to our Breed.  I believe
 there are
 different issues and problems with each Breed.
 For a while our shows were so big, Clubs had such huge
 entries
 they had to call in a second Judge once the entries were in,
 as
 they were OVER what AKC allowed for one Judge.  CLASSES
 were as
 big as one side is now.
 Then all these Specialty Clubs started having two
 Specialties a
 year...AND... there were a LOT of Clubs. It became easier to
 finish
 a GSD....as there is now a couple more shows within a couple
 of
 weeks if we miss some.   With that..entries
 started to drop.
 I also think that now the popularity of shows is fading
 away.  It
 just is not a major interest of young people and families
 that do
 acquire a purebred dog.
 I do not think ANYTHING or ANYONE or any BREED is to blame.

  Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 www.marhaven.com