[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Entry Count - WHY?

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <barbara17236@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 22:16:53 -0700

I don't claim to know anything about Labs...that is why I was
asking...but I figured there must be a difference between the
"working" or  "field" Labs and pure show dogs.  Typically that
is the case in every working Breed.
That is pretty much what I was saying...that the 'divisions'
within a Breed IS part of the problem?

Here in Calif. we often see many of the same people at our GSD
Specialty shows and some All Breeds.   Most are just glad
to be there, to see each other to see new puppies, and to see
the competing animals and just enjoy a show.
Are we all always happy with the winners?  Of course not.  <G>
Is there often a difference in the winners between All Breeds
and Specialties?  Of course...but there is also a difference
in the judges, the judging, and the rings.
I am not assigning any blame to anything....but I STILL don't
think we can compare other Breeds or Breed show entries to our
GSD and expect to come up with the same problems or some magic
reason for the  "rise and fall" of a Breeds popularity and the
size of their shows compared to our Breed.  I believe there are
different issues and problems with each Breed.
For a while our shows were so big, Clubs had such huge entries
they had to call in a second Judge once the entries were in, as
they were OVER what AKC allowed for one Judge.  CLASSES were as
big as one side is now.
Then all these Specialty Clubs started having two Specialties a
year...AND... there were a LOT of Clubs. It became easier to finish
a GSD....as there is now a couple more shows within a couple of
weeks if we miss some.   With that..entries started to drop.
I also think that now the popularity of shows is fading away.  It
just is not a major interest of young people and families that do
acquire a purebred dog.
I do not think ANYTHING or ANYONE or any BREED is to blame.

 Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com