[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Entry Count - Sounds Good to Me

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question for you,Cathy. At the Lab specialties, do all-breed judges
judge the specialty, or do Lab breeder/judges judge the specialty? Just asking
because, again GSD people say that hardly anyone, unless you're are a GSD
breeder/judge can judge GSD's well. If this is the case with GSD's then could
it be that the all-breed judges are confronted with so many styles within one
breed and so many variations of movement that they cannot discern a good dog
from a mediocre dog? I have known GSD judges that can do other breeds, and have
even done the Nationals for other breeds, and they do a damn good job at
finding the better dogs, is it because in other breeds there is more
consistency? Less handler domination? Most would have a coronary if an
all-rounder that wasn't a GSD person was slated to judge the GSD national! Just
say'in. Christine

 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Entry Count - Sounds Good to Me
 To: "GSD List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Sunday, March 30, 2014, 12:27 PM

 Hi All,
 I think I can answer some of the questions that Carolyn
 posted in regards to the Labrador Specialities. In the
 northeast here, there are quite a few Lab Speciality
 Clubs  and they usually do two day Specialities. My Lab
 Club has their Speciality in conjunction with my AB Club,
 the have a separate ring and tent across the road and draw
 close to 150 entries each day.

 They do not have the problems of German vs Americans, most
 of the field Labs are not shown in confirmation, but many of
 the confirmation dogs are shown in field and get there
 Hunter Titles.

 Yes, there are many more Owner Handler in the Lab ring then
 you will ever find in the GSD ring and they win just as much
 as the handlers at Specialities.

 I show Labs, besides the GSD's, Akita and Cardi and you do
 have to move with the Labs, they do not walk around the
 ring.

 The colors shown at the shows are Black, Yellow and
 Chocolate and the Open Classes are divided by color at
 Specialities and many AB Shows that have a good Lab draw.
 The so called Silver have not shown up and I doubt that they
 will. Also, there is a variation of shade of Yellow, from
 pale, to what is called a Fox Red, you will also see varied
 shades of Chocolates in the ring.

 You must also realize that the Lab Parent Club is very
 small, only about 600 members, as not just anyone can join.
 In my over 30 years of being involved with Labs, I have
 never seen any discrimination between the Field folks and
 Confirmation. Many Confirmation dogs can still do it all,
 even in the field and they seem to support each other. I
 have breeder friends who have their pups in field homes
 earning titles, as that is what they were bred to do.

 The Potomac again draw over 800 Labs and I will hopefully go
 down just on Friday as the BOB will be an all day event and
 I love seeing all the dogs and great people.

 I have also found that new folks are coming into the Lab
 ring and perhaps because they can show their own dogs and
 they have breeders who mentor them and our at the shows with
 them, encouraging and guiding them.

 If many of you may know, I began to show my husband's
 Cardigan last year, the Cardi folks were welcoming, fun and
 even when I got his first points, a
 3 Point Major, one of the other exhibitors, who is a breeder
 judge came into the ring to make sure I had him set on the
 table right for his win photo. Do not think you see this in
 our rings that much, which is too bad.

 Cathy
 Kelstar

 fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 EarthLink Revolves Around You.

 POST is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the
 property of the original author and of GSD Communication,
 Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are permitted
 without prior permission of the original author AND of the

 Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her
 post.  This group and its administrators are not
 responsible for the comments or opinions expressed in any
 post.

 ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION
 OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON
 SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO
 THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
 IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html