[ SHOWGSD-L ] Encouraging new members....

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 19:39:45 -0700 (PDT)

Lets start with the basics...the local breed clubs. You need good LOCAL clubs
as well as a good parent club! My reasoning for joining the Parent club, was
intertwined with my reason for joining my local club.....a sense of belonging
to a group of people who share my passion for the breed.While I may never be
able to afford to go to the National, and would probably have limited contact
with the GSDCA board, my LOCAL club is where I would normally go for
information and support.
 To that point, the long standing members of EITHER group would do well to
remember that this is a working breed and there are many avenues for our dogs
to travel, and that no one avenue is more important than the other. For these
clubs to continue, we need to attract the companion animal group. That means,
finding something good to say about their dogs...support their efforts in
obedience, agility, rally or herding...make them feel truly WANTED, as after
all, at least they are trying to DO something with their GSD...make the local
club meetings accessible to ALL members by perhaps rotating the venue each
month so that everyone has the opportunity to attend...educate them in show
protocol so that they feel comfortable assisting in matches/obedience shows and
even conformation shows. Make the club meetings INTERESTING, with guest
demonstrations and speakers. While the reading of the minutes is important, I
believe that most people attend these meetings hoping to gain
 information and generally "talk dog".
The above is, for what its worth, JMHO...Dawn Restuccia

Dorothy, and no this aint Kansas