[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: EPILEPTIC SEISURES

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Lacy340@xxxxxxx, Jonah.gsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:49:00 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2007 11:47:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Lacy340
writes:
MY dog  was disoriented coming out of a seizure but I just stroked her and
loved her  coming out and she never ever was violent.  Only disoriented.  I
have never heard of them being violent.  This may be caused by another
condition.

Consider yourself VERY, VERY lucky, and no, in the case I mentioned,  there
was no other condition.  It wasn't diet, it wasn't low blood sugar  (which can
happen with smallish dogs and older dogs), it wasn't vaccines, he  didn't get
into anything bad, he was never injured and the timing of  the  seizures had
no correlation with atmospheric pressure changes or anything else  you can
think of.

It WAS genetic (I later learned his particular pedigree was rife with  it.)
BTW, while you MAY have an occasion where a dog gets into something  poisonous
and has a seizure, or you MAY have a dog who is injured have a  seizure, or
you MAY have a dog with a tumor/growth putting pressure on something  that
causes a seizure, why, why, why are we so reluctant to say that in
99.99999999%
of the cases it's GENETIC???????  Want to laugh?  One of  the co-breeders of
the young dog I purchased who experienced this, knowing I've  had horses in the
past, (although never on my property), actually had the  audacity to ask if
the dog had been kicked in the head!  (And, no, the  closest he'd been to a
horse was seeing one on TV!)

Of course every dog experiencing or following a seizure isn't  violent.  I
sincerely hope you never see one that is, but the idea that you  haven't heard
of it certainly doesn't preclude the occurrence.  Given the  original poster's
question and the fact that the family IS experiencing  violence, I am simply
stating that I wouldn't chance it.  Never.   Ever.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_