[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: EPILEPTIC SEISURES

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Jonah.gsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:15:35 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2007 11:56:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Jonah.gsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Howdy  Folks,
Can anyone out there give me advice on this? Leo is a  2&1/2 year old male
who was the picture of health until one month ago when  he had his first
seisure. He has had several since then. When he comes out of  the seisure, he
becomes
very violent. He is on medication, which has been  increased one and a half
times the original dose, but it is not stopping the  seisures. His owners are
considering putting him down. He is a beloved family  member and they are heart
broken!  Their vet says this is not hereditary.  Any info on that? Is there
any hope for Leo?   TIA,  Joan

Can we assume that the dog has had a complete work up to rule out another
cause for seizures (tumor?)?

That said, he's male (more likely than females), and the right age and I
don't know where they found a vet to say it isn't hereditary; is most certainly

IS an inherited issue.  (In fact, the CHF is looking for the DNA marker).
Here's more info, but you don't need to take my word for it; if you google
epilepsy, or epilepsy in GSDs or inherited issues you'll literally find
thousands
of sites.

_http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_seizure_disorder.html_
(http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_seizure_disorder.html)

Now, as far as the rage when he comes out of a seizure...I dealt with this
in a puppy I bought (then he was placed re. a replacement clause when he
wasn't a "show dog", then he developed epilepsy at about 2), and all  involved
made
the decision to put him to sleep.  Unless you've had to deal  with a dog
violently coming out of a seizure, you just can't believe it.   In a portion of
the cases, drugs can't control this, and quite simply,  somebody was going to
get badly, badly hurt.

I wouldn't fool with it, especially if there is a family, children,  etc.
How would  they feel if they were trying to regulate meds and a  child was
maimed?  Really, I can't overstate this; it's that bad. They  don't know you,
you
can't reach them, they are absolutely out of control and  it's like picturing
the worst dog fight you've ever seen with maybe a person  right in the middle
of it.  (It's not at ALL like when they look weak,  tired, confused and you pet
and reassure them.)

My heart goes out to the family.  (And I wouldn't repeat the  breeding.)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!
visit  _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_