[ SHOWGSD-L ] Double Handling Memories

  • From: Ginialtman@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:38:20 EDT

This has been a fun thread.  I have this memory--and some witnesses  too:-)
Back in 1985 or 1986, anyway it was in an arena where we had  to double from
the sides. There was a stage at one end of the arena and a wide  strip of
sodded area between the seating area and the stage. We were showing VJ  and I
was
doubling along the side running toward the end where the stage  was.  My
handler pointed at me and pointed at the stage and yelled "Get  over there."
Well!!
 Easy for him to say!  There was a security  guard at the end of the seating
area blocking the stairs down to the sod  and therefore to the stage.  He
outweighed me two-to-one!!  But...I  was more afraid of what I would hear from
my
handler if I didn't comply, than I  was of the security guard!!  So... I put a
hand on the rail in front of the  seating (aisle that we were doubling from
really) LEAPED over the rail --  landing with one foot on the grass and with
the next leap pulled myself up on  the stage!!  I have heard that that
particular display of agility was  caught on video tape but I have never seen
it. Gary
Szymczak has told me  that he has -- but anyway -- After the show my handler
told me that he was  amazed!! He was also pleased (VJ did go Select) and for
years  afterwards -- he "touted" my double handling skills to anyone who would
listen.  Anytime he needed an example of what a good double handler should
do--he would retell the story--and he even said I should give "double handling
classes" (on occasion he was serious about this when someone failed his
expectations)  I have had some laughs over this story over the years--I  would
like
to have seen the video tape:-) Bet I couldn't do it again!

Ginny Altman
"Please let me be as kind,  intelligent, and wonderful as my dog thinks I am."