[ SHOWGSD-L ] Do you want to do it?

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:06:00 EST

_carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx)   writes:
I would really like for our board to take a look at some of the   other breed
publications  to perhaps see the tremendously   successful  magazines that
are published each month by other  breed  clubs.

Evan writes:
Since the Review is one of the top  award winning dog magazines  in America,
would doubt that we would  gain by following what others are  doing.  We need
to remember  that the Review is the official magazine of our  parent club. It
is a  service given to all members,and the advertising is a bonus  for the
club.
If you don't like the Review, don't read it. But, please stop   telling the
rest of us how bad it is.

_Lacy340@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Lacy340@xxxxxxx)  writes
Amen to that.  Our Review is one of the best and so informative.

I can't believe that Evan and Lacy are missing the point.

We are not arguing that the Review is a good magazine, thought at this  point
it does need improvement.  No one has said anything negative about  Gail
Sprock, we all like her.

Let's not be so arrogant to think that the Review is THE ONLY dog magazine
worth writing or reading. There are other dog magazines looking at the  Review
for inspiration, and we should be doing the same.  Or have we  reached the
stage where we don't have anything else to learn?

Regardless of how many awards the Review has won, or will be nominated for
in the future, the basic problem remains.......we are not getting it  delivered
on time.  This basic problem now reflects on lack of  advertising, lack of
articles, etc......No one wants to spend money on old  news.

So, instead of taking sides against each other, how about sending
suggestions to the PC board to get this LONG STANDING PROBLEM solved.

I have volunteered contributions to the Review before, and never heard back
from whoever was in charge.  I even wrote asking if they got my article,
never heard a word.  Is it lack of staff? I know of people who have
volunteered
to do the leg work, returning pictures, stuff that will free the  hands of the
Review staff to get more things done.  No takers.  So,  having volunteers is
not the problem.

I've said this before, we receive lots of magazines, with subscriptions far
larger than the review, and these magazines are always on time, if not early
by  a week.  And do I care if they won a million awards?  That's nice, but  not
the reason I subscribed, anymore than we all renewed our membership on the
hopes that the Review will win an award this next year.

We are witnessing a very true issue:  if the Review can't deliver on  time,
it looses the backing of all the people who have the potential to spend  money
advertising.  And that is what will eventually save or kill the  magazine.  At
this rate, the Parent Club will have to pay to continue  printing a magazine
for Board Meeting minutes, an Editors Page, and little  else.
Is there an award for that?

JMO

Ileana