[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Different degrees of bad temperament

  • From: ORSuite@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:12:51 EST

OK.  Given these choices ---

Object/Noise---  Dog could stay.  Depending on the situation,  he/she may
have to used to things.  Again, depends on a host of  information, but that is
something that can be worked on through proper exposure  and social training.

Shy--Skittish around strangers in home and hides.  Big negative  to me.
After all, it IS a GERMAN SHEPHERD and should have  courage.  THAT is an
embarrassment and it's pretty darn scary to have your  dog hiding when someone
comes
around, ESPECIALLY if it is a stranger. Probably  would do very well with
someone in Tibet. But, depending on home situation,  it could be placed or
kept,
not bred.  I would rather put away (in a crate  or kennel)an aggressive dog
than have one who is a symbol of strength and  integrity run from people.

Fear Biter-- Goes.  Unpredictable. I call them "sharp-shy".

Aggressive--- Depends again.  Was he acquired that way.  did  he/she not have
a strong owner?  Someone thought he was "cute" as a puppy  and thought he
would grow out of it?
The strong dogs need a certain owner.  I think that can be  "rehabbed".
Stays.

Unpredictable Aggression--goes.  Unpredictable is the word here.

Well, these are just MY opinions on what I will tolerate, put up with and
make decision on.
I only have 3 rules--you will come when called, you will NOT ARBITRARILY
bite anyone YOU deem necessary,and you will not kill MY cats!  We will  pretty
much deal with whatever else comes along and go from there.   Everybody's
lifestyle is different, so their tolerance or blinders to things  will be
different
in what they will cope with.  Sometimes, unfortunately,  it will be too late.
Training is very important. KEEPING or ridding of a  dog is choice, based on
that tolerance and knowledge.  But breeding these  traits one finds
undesirable is not.  I've owned a lot of dogs.  I  breed very little.
German Shepherds CAN be for ANYBODY but they are NOT for EVERYBODY!
  JMHO--but what do I know, I'm "just Chris"

Chris K
"Do Right and  Fear No One" --from the Stephanitz Family  Crest