[ SHOWGSD-L ] Did anyone else see this last PM? / OT

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, CHGermanShepherdShowDogsList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:29:40 EDT

This is not the least bit dog related, apologies in advance.

I must confess, when the TV is on here, 99% of the time it's cable and  not
local or 3, 6 and 10.  Came in a little after 7 last night from doing
doggie things, dead-heading flowers in the garden etc., the skies looked
ominous
 so I channel surfed to see if there were any storm warnings going on.

I caught something on 10 about Wilmington, paused a minute thinking
Wilmington DE (close) and for the next 40 minutes sat with tears streaming down

my face.  It turns out it was Wilmington OH and mention of several other
cities, but Feed The Children has started an emergency caravan of trucks in
what  they are calling their "Americans Feeding Americans" project.

_http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=usw_200903_us_high&;
playvideo_
(http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=usw_200903_us_high&playvideo)

I work with people every day who have lost their job and are looking for
insurance, so I knew it was bad.

Wealthy parishes locally are no longer forwarding food donations to poorer
parishes ~ they are collecting for their own parishioners.

I received something from the county food bank at the beginning of the
summer to the effect that school is out, some families rely on the two meals
their children receive at school during the school year and the food bank
was empty.

I'm glued to the financial channels during the week, so honestly, my head
hasn't been in the sand. I've known it was bad for quite a while.

I didn't know it was THIS bad.

I am ANGRY, I am DIGUSTED and I am HORRIFIED.  And I am scared.   Then I'm
angry all over again:(

The show wasn't political (just as well).  The producers simply  focused on
a number of families. I guess the impact was so great because  the
unemployment rate wasn't "just" a statistic, the foreclosure rate, not  "just"
statistic.  These are honest to goodness faces of HARD  WORKING AMERICANS
begging for food, reduced to BEGGING for help.

Now I'm angry all over again.

Did anybody else see it?

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Steps!