[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dick Whalen memories

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MASSTANA@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:22:19 -0700

Thank you that was so well written and beautiful tribute to Dick.
Last year Dick did the TT for one of the regional clubs I belong to.
Even though I had known both of them for years, and always enjoyed their
company, April 2006 was and always will be a very special memory for me.
We spent some quality time together aside from the Temperament Test. It was
UC Davis graduation week when they were here. Lodging was difficult at best,
but I finally found them a place, outside of Davis.
I had offered my home, but Dick needed and was used to a Queen or King size.
In retrospect, I think he probably needed to be sure he got the rest he
needed, as well. He was between treatments at the time.

It seemed to give Dick a big boost, to do the test. It was something he
needed and  really wanted to do. I was concerned about him becoming to
tired, and the effect of the sun. I made sure I had everything he would
possibly need, extra sun screen, hat etc. He came well prepared for his own
needs, but was appreciative of the efforts we made.
We had such a great time after the test reminiscing over lunch, about how we
met so many years ago when they and we were both campaigning what turned out
to be our first Champions, they with Phidore's Martine and we with Tucker
Hill's Gretina.
We talked about the many years we often saw one another in our travels and
we each continued our life in GSD after that first Champion so many years
ago.
I have a special poem that was sent to me when I lost my husband to Cancer
almost 18 years ago. I will send it to Jean, in the hopes that it gives her
as much comfort as it did me.
Times like this are always difficult, and the support, love and concern of
others often helps to ease the pain of such a loss.
I can tell you from personal experience, that Jean will need all of us to
help her through this. The most important thing (in my opinion) is for every
one to realize how much time it takes to grieve, and each person has their
own time frame. Never think that maybe months from now, she may be okay,
remember her and her family as often and whenever you can, in any way that
you can to give her some comfort.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA