[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Designer Dogs

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:51:07 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/2006 5:45:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
InquestGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
The truth is that many people are fascinated by the miniature yorkies,  the
labradoodles, the pugles ( I am sorry, those are ugly) and many other
inventions or accidents that can generate $$$$.  Labradoodles around here  go
for
$1500 or more.
These folks are "entrepreneurs" .  And they are meeting a  demand.

You hit the nail on the head.  My daughter has a Yorkie as my family has had
them for years.  She and I get calls all the time for teacup Yorkies.  For
goodness sakes, a Yorkie is only about 6 lbs to begin with.  Why on earth do
they
need to be smaller?  And, I have even had calls looking for breeders of
miniature GSD's.  Please, you want a GSD ankle biter?  But, there are mini
Aussies
and the mini Sibes and more, so I guess the GSD is next.  It really only ends
up being about money.  You have a NEW product to sell.  These dogs fit a
certain demographic and will sell.  Who cares about the pedigree and health if
you
can get what you want, NOW?  That is thinking of today's pet owner.  A toycup
Yorkie goes for over 3K.  I'm in the wrong breed, lol!

The only succesful crossbreed I have seen recently is the Border Collie to
the Austrailian Cattle dog.  They call them McNabs (I think that is the right
spelling)  Anyway, these dogs are awesome.  Funny looking but awesome herding
dogs. But, these dogs are bred for a specific reason.  Is shrinking a dog who
is
already a companion dog worth it?  Maybe for the breeder.  hmmmm.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/