[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dangerous Dog Bill - VOLUMES SPEAK and so should the GSDCA...

  • From: "MARGERY GOLANT" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx>, <BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:41:13 -0500

The move to introduced proposed legislation around the country is clearly
escalating, as is the language of the bills themselves.  It is a frightening
situation, to put it mildly.

We have discussed the problem at Board meetings recently.  There is a large,
well-funded and well-organized animal rights lobby, which Paul, Sharon and
others have been bringing to our attention repeatedly.  They keep pushing
and pushing and pushing, and clearly are gaining ground.

Early last fall, prior to our last national election, I asked that people
post to the List information regarding potential BSL / anti-breeder agendas
of potential candidates, so that all of us would know which candidates were
dangerous in that area, but no one responded.  We need to get organized, and
QUICK !!  And, in addition to going after the legislation itself, we should
go after the legislators who sponsor and support these bills, and vote them
OUT.

The biggest difficulty is that, due to the large numbers of proposed bills,
state and local, taking this on is a huge effort.  What should happen is an
organized effort, involving the parent clubs of all potentially affected
breeds, the AKC and other groups who are opposed to this legislation.  One
major ally is the NRA, because many of their members are hunters, and so
they understand the significance of the anti-dog legislation.  The NRA is
also sophisticated about lobbying, and well-funded.  Bill Pfeiffer has had
some preliminary dialogue with them, and brought information to the Board
recently.

Unfortunately, the AKC does not seem to be taking the lead in spearheading a
counterattack.  It is a huge undertaking.  Standing alone, the GSDCA can't
hold back this flood, but we must do whatever we can.

It would help enormously if, when people post information regarding proposed
legislation, they would provide the names and contact information (or links
to them) for the legislators who have sponsored, or who will be voting on
them, so that those on the List can swiftly respond.  Then, what is needed
is a network to be quickly assembled, where List members can quickly
communicate with their regional club members and other dog groups and
acquiantances, and pass the information to them for them to respond.  It is
by no means a complete solution, but at least the beginning of a grass-roots
effort to let these legislators know there are plenty of people who are
opposed to these laws, and who will be madder than hell if they vote for
them.

The Regional Clubs can be utilized as the first line of defense, as a
network to let the fancy know about legislation in its earliest stages, and
to mobilize their memberships and the local community, and to publicize the
information so that it can be gotten out to other breed clubs, etc.  The
Internet provides an incredibly powerful communication tool.  I am going to
contact Lew right now to volunteer to start a project within the Regional
Clubs Committee to put together and operate a communication network along
those lines, and would love to hear from anyone else willing to work on this
also.

Margy Golant