[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: VOLUMES SPEAK and so should the GSDCA...

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:20:05 -0500

I am coming late to this post, but I feel it might be a good time to
point out that almost every state has a State Federation, most made up
of all breed and specialty clubs, and individual members as well.  Many
of the Federations (or whatever name they give their organizations) are
active in tracking and fighting this BSL and other unfriendly
legislation...unfriendly to the dog people, that is.  In Virginia, for
example, we have two...the Virginia Federation and a Sportsman's
(hunters) group...both groups are really very active and very good at
disseminating information.
    Parent clubs can join whichever state they are either incorporated
in or where the Secretary lives...and then act accordingly.
If anyone lives in a state that doesn't have such a group, start one!
It isn't hard...
    The Virginia and Pennsylvania Federations have been around for many
years.  New York State has a group that tracks and fights legislation,
headed by two woman who have been on the forefront of this field for
over 20 years.  All regional clubs should join their state
Federations...it's amazing what can be done if you know where to look.
    And Margery is absolutely right, (and Paul, Sharon, Ginger, and
others)...the push by the AR groups this year is unbelievable.  One bill
right on the heels of another; they are not letting up.  We can't,
either...because if we keep waiting for someone else to do it, we'll be
way too late.
    Take your dogs to school...let the kids learn something about dogs.
There are programs in place in several areas that can tell you how to
manage this...lots of obedience clubs already do it.  Give your old dog
magazines, yes, Reviews too, to the school libraries in your town...not
just to your vet or the local hospital, and certainly not collecting
dust on your shelves...
    Watch the "letters to the editor" columns in your local newspapers,
and when there are letters that reflect badly on dogs and the dog sport,
write a rebuttal!  If you can't write a decent letter, or can't
spell...get help writing it.
    What was it that Churchill said all those years ago....
> We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight
> in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with
> growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend
> our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches,
> we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields
> and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never
> surrender. <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/14577.html>

    This is now a war...and we have to fight..........everywhere and
with everything we've got.
Peggy