[ SHOWGSD-L ] Critique of 2006 National tape

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:10:40 EST

I have just finished studying  the Bob Lindsey tape of the National for the
third time
. We certainly are  lucky to have Bob do these tapes, since we--as I
understand it, no longer do the  documentary video tapes as Pace, and
Carmen/Scootie
used to do. And the DVD's  take up a lot less storage space than the videos
did.
I thought I'd pass on some of  my observations, with the caveats of me not
being in the actual ring, with "the  hands on" experience. And many times the
judge would stand between the camera  and the dog gaiting "coming and
going".And
sometimes the judge, for their own  better viewing would gait them in a
different direction. But that white wall  certainly showcased the sidegait, and
backs, both the negative and  positive.
All three judges were  consistent in their approach to the dogs, doing the
temperament test, and  examination, and their judging procedures were easy to
follow. Which bring up a  question.??
Why ,after the entire class is  brought in ,and, say the judge decides to
take 10 at a time--are the rest sent  out --and then the  procedure goes on
from
there, with taking numbers ,and  then rechecking numbers, when the next group,
come in? The ring was, and next  years will be also, certainly big enough to
keep everyone in, and have your  three corners that you send your choices to.
As I call them --the Keepers--the  Possibles--the Not considered. You judge
your 10 dogs , send them to whichever  corner you think they belong. Go to the
next 10 and so on.  So at the end,  you have Three groups that you can Really
work. Sometimes you'll move  several from the 2nd group up and place within the
first group. And I even  moved one up from the "Not considered" ,one time,
when I was working on that  Group for the last time The time that is now used
for Groups going in and out  ,checking numbers etc, would be used for judging
the animals. I guess we use to  work them more than we do now. I'm sure some of
you remember Julius Due, and  Ernie in his earlier days. And Marie Leary, I
guess it was a carry over from  the  way of working the dogs, by walking,
walking, which brings out faults  quicker. Anyway ,every judge has his own way
of
judging, and we have much  smaller classes now.  But it sure would  be nice to
see the Specials  worked harder.
Now to my personal  observations
POSITIVE
1. Temperament--just Great, much  improved
2. No surprise--Bitches superior to  the Dogs, some good enough for 3 GVX
3. A  number of very nice BLACK  GSDs--
nice to see the  dark pigmentation, also the grey/black sables  also
NEGATIVE
1. It appears that we are  breeding longer dogs.
Instead of the  8-1/2 to 10, they look like 8-1/2 to 11-1/2 or even 12
Remember  the old adage " the length of the loin is approximate your hand's
width
with  4 fingers spread"   Short coupling is what to aim  for
2.We still see the toe  dragging and dead tails
3. Lifting  in the front, instead of reaching
4.. A number of soft backs really bouncing up and down--too long in  loin,
Much more in the males than  bitches
5. Soft ears, also in  males ,more than bitches
Ears that  break in the middle and wave at you.
I know  "you don't gait with your ears",and also dogs aren't perfect.
I  hesitated to make any negative comments, since I was not in that ring and
doing  the judging ,but I really was disturbed, both at the National, and then
 confirmed by the tape at the LENGTH of our GSD. The Bearded Collies have run
 into the same problem--getting too long a dog ,thinking the dog moves
better.  Remember ,last year trying to change our Illustrated Standard to
conform
pictorially to the longer dogs It's better to stick to the Standard ,not change
 the  pictures.
Helen  Miller Fisher