[ SHOWGSD-L ] Codes and Ethics and Advertising

  • From: Joan Fox <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 08:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,
Please take a moment and go the the GSDCA.org website and under members only
read the proposed By-Law change to institute a Code of Ethics for inclusion in
the requirements for membership.

This was rejected by the membership in 2007. Perhaps, it should be brought back
again?

I would hope the Jamie Walker is not to discouraged and would consider bring a
new Breeder's Code to this or the next Board.

As to advertising, the website restriction is a good step in the right
direction and perhaps the Board needs to consider doing the same for the
Review? An updated list of Breeder's Code signers could be sent by Jamie to the
Webmaster and Review editor once a month. The melding of the 2 advertising
outlets     sometime ( hopefully in the near future) will require this anyway.
We have to start somewhere and while it may be argued against by some, for good
reasons, in my opinion, no rule or Code can cover everything or situation
but should we not try to bring something together as other clubs do? Anything
can be tweaked later. We cannot legislate honesty but we set guidleines.

The main rub is the potential for reduced revenue for the club in the way of
membership dues and Review advertising and therefore a reduction in it's
programs to benefit the members is certainly to be considered in a time when we
are loosing members.

There are no easy answers here but I would think a more definitive name for
either the Breeders Code ot the Code of Ethics would be helpful as it does get
confusing.

Food for thought? Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

Joan