[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coat Color Question

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx>, <epeningt@xxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:48:37 -0800

<epeningt@xxxxxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Ellen writes:Now at 11 months old right after her first season her whole
> undercoat except on her forward belly and back of neck is turning light
> colored.
> Correct me if I am wrong, isn't the undercoat in a Bi Color always  light?
 I > know in a true genetic black it is black.  > Kathy
>                         *****************************

I think there must be different degrees of bi colors.
BOSS is  black on the under coat and he is an obvious Bi Color.
Some from some of the "old lines"  used to have the gray undercoat,
but they are the type of Bi Color that has the band on the chest and
the spots on the cheek......almost not a true Bi Color.
Now most are like BOSS......solid black except for the tan on their lower
legs and the patch under their tail......no face or chest markings....black.

I don't know what a true genetic black is??   A solid black is a solid black.
Most solid blacks develop the sprinklings of tan hairs around their toes
and above the hock........much like a solid black horse develops the
gold cast of hair around their loin area.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com