[ SHOWGSD-L ] Champions in Shelters--not so unordinary.

  • From: "Michael Lynch" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Falkrigia@xxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 12:20:37 -0700

Unfortunately it happens all the time in other breeds. Currently, I have a
Kerry blue rescued from Austin, sired by a Champion dog, is a champion and
has produced a champion. His owner, an 85 year old man fell and hit his head
and was in the hospital for about a week and then died. His wife, who is
still alive but now requires 2 full time nurses to make it through the day
essentially fed and water him, but a constant companion was placed outside
and allowed to get into terrible shape. When She was asked about turning
over to rescue, she felt she would rather take him to a shelter because the
kerry people are too judgmental (I agree).

Luckily, she came across the right name and I stepped up to the plate and he
is at my feet while I write this.

While I wanted to get pissed at someone, I really , honestly couldn't. I'm
sure the owner wanted to be alive and continue to play with his boy. The
wife did as best as she could under the circumstances and imagine how hard
it must've been to give up a strong tie to her deceased husband.

In short, I'm pretty sure there was a rationale. However, the larger
question at hand should be, "Why didn't this person feel comfortable talking
to a local breeder/rescue/etc BEFORE resorting to extreme measures???

just my two cent-aurs!

Michael Lynch
Blackhawk Farms, LLC